Unicode characters

Hello, small edit after trying more things and reading up.

Only a few unicode characters seemed to be supported in KiCad Font in v6. I’m assuming the same character set is in v7 for the KiCad font?

The thing I’ve noted is that apparently, when using another font than the KiCad font, all (that I’ve tried anyway) unicode characters are not supported at all, and yes, characters that are in the corresponding selected font. Not even the characters that are supported in KiCad font, like some arrows. They just leave a square, or depending on the font, just whitespace.

Has anyone managed to use unicode characters with custom font successfully in KiCad v7?

How do you know they are in the font? Which program you used for checking that?

Ok, you got me digging into this a bit more!

I was using KCharSelect (on Linux/KDE Plasma). Turns out that it lists unicode characters even when they’re not part of the selected font, so I’m not too sure what the point of having a font select in this is. Or if it has a bug.

I have also used the following command to make sure:
fc-match -s monospace:charset=xxxx
with xxxx the unicode point you want to search. It was suggested there: Fonts - ArchWiki
it did return the font I was using, along with a lot of other fonts.

Then I noted after your reply, re-reading it, that they also refer to the following “talk”: Talk:Fonts - ArchWiki?
suggesting that fc-list may work better.

So I tried:
fc-list :charset=2B9E

and it did only list one font actually on my system - I checked with this one font in KiCad, and it worked.

So, I guess the bug is not with KiCad. But maybe this will help others that would run into the same question.
One thing to realize is that KiCad lists all fonts individually, while some other software group fonts as families - so selecting one family makes it pick the font that has the actual glyph you are using, automatically. For instance here, I was using “Noto Sans”, and the exact font to pick for just symbols is “Noto Sans Symbols 2”, which is way down in an almost endless list of “Noto Sans xxx” fonts. :slight_smile:

Sure I’ll have to find a better font viewer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.