Undo symbol library upgrade to 5?

I’ve been using Kicad 5 with the symbols and footprints from Kicad 4 for quite a while. Today I decided to upgrade those to 5 as well, by deleting my fp-lib-table file and picking the default setup (see I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup).

While that worked, I realized that upgrading my project still meant recreating the layout (not literally, but the amount of work might be the same).

So I restored my old fp-lib-table, and while Kicad now shows the old footprints in the Assign Footprints window, the symbols still belong to Kicad 5.

What additional steps do I need to perform to get Kicad 4 symbols back?

Well the tutorial you link gives you both options in detail. Might want to reread it.

I decided to purge and reinstall Kicad 5 and to restore my ~/.config/kicad from backup instead. This gave me back my Kicad 4 footprints, but not the libraries. In which file are the symbols libraries defined?

I couldn’t follow the tutorial since I DON’T KNOW where my Kicad 4 symbols are on my disk – after upgrading my Kicad 4 packages from to 5, the Kicad 4 packages are no longer installed, but I was using Kicad 5 with Kicad 4 symbols and footprints.

I finally installed Kicad 4 libraries. Of course, the “official” ones aren’t the ones I created the project with, so I’m not sure if this is of any use at all.

I guess that means I throw everything away and start over in Kicad 5. Great job!

No need to throw everything away. Just make sure you have the cache lib and you can use a project with old symbols even if you no longer have them on the system. They will just be rescued.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.