Understanding Field Placement in KiCad 6 Symbol Editor

I’ve created a part in the Symbol Editor (based off of a KiCad Cap) that looks like this:

When I add the symbol to the Schematic Editor while its still floating on my cursor is looks like this:

But once I click on the page and the symbol is dropped the Field locations change like this:

Then if I rotate it is looks like this:

Is it irrelevant where I place the field labels in the symbol editor since they are going to move once placed in the Schematic Editor?

Jacob

Preferences
    Preferences…
        Schematic Editor
            Editing Options
                ☐ Automatically place symbol fields
2 Likes

The form requires 20 characters for a post, I suppose that this is so I am forced to praise your answer more rather than just saying: Thanks!

Jacob

2 Likes

The 20 character thing is a quite silly and sometimes annoying “feature”. Instead of adding a post just to say “thanks” it probably works better to click on the “like heart”. It’s quicker for you, and it also helps the other user in “upping his experience level” (according to the discourse forum software).

3 Likes

As this has settled in my head a bit I recalled what spurred the original question and this may be a bug in the version of KiCad I’m using . I indeed have Automatically place symbol fields turned on. However, when I edit a part click “Change Symbol…” the new parts come in and the fields are not automatically placed but are stacked how they are laid out in the Symbol Editor if the “Update field”'s check boxes are checked.

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor

Version: 6.0.10-86aedd382b~118~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.15.0-56-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, x11

Build Info:
Date: Dec 18 2022 19:39:35
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.71.0
OCC: 7.5.2
Curl: 7.86.0
ngspice: 36
Compiler: GCC 9.4.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Likes also help with automatic level elevation. I thought it was annoying at first but it does seem to help keep things more civil by a gentle nudge and suggestion. So… :wink:

1 Like

Doesn’t work so well though if elevated users give likes to elevated users only.

2 Likes

I have a system whereby if a newish member courteously acknowledges a solution to their problem with a thankyou I will “like” that thankyou.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.