EDIT: Looks like this is a Windows permission issue. Will confirm after fixing and testing.
Kicad 5.1.7, Windows 10.
This concerns a library of mine that contains a few symbols and is added to the library paths.
Steps to reproduce:
- Open Schematic Editor
- Open Symbol Editor
- Filter down to part I want to edit. This part is in a library I created. I also created this part.
- Double click on part in the list on the left.
- Click “Edit Symbol Properties” on toolbar.
- Click + button to add a field. Give this field a name.
- Click OK, click save button.
- Close Symbol Editor.
- Repeat steps 2-5 to get to Edit Symbol Properties.
- New field is gone.
If instead I don’t close the Symbol Editor after adding the field and saving, and open Edit Symbol Properties again, the field shows, but when I close Edit Symbol Properties, now I have an asterisk beside my symbol, meaning that it needs to be saved. This does not make sense because I had previously saved.
I have confirmed that the lib file does get modified when I click save (via Notepad++), but the new field does not get added to the actual file upon save.
I also tried duplicating the symbol in the library after adding the new field and saving, but the duplicated part does not contain the new field (as viewed in the symbol editor and with Notepad++).
What gives? Am I misunderstanding something?