Unable to open multiple projects

Attempting to open multiple projects at one time crashes KiCAD. There are good reasons for wanting to have two schematic or PCB projects open simultaneously. Requesting that this be considered as a useful feature in future versions.

Details: macOS 10.14.3, KiCAD 5.1.0-rc2-9-g37962b717

It works fine under linux.

The program advises that Kicad is already open, but going on I have 2 projects open without any problem.

You should report this to the bug database. Also you should give a bit more information, especially how and where you installed KiCad. Also how exactly you try to open another project. Have you tried with different projects? Can you replicate the bug with almost empty minimal projects which could be included in the bug report or recreated easily?

Always include version information from Help->About KiCad->Copy Version Info.

This forum is for users by users, you can get help for bugs only occasionally here.

I don’t think this is a bug, but rather by design.

I thought the method by which a user would attempt to open a second project was pretty self explanatory: File – Open Project.

Opening a second project is, by definition, opening two different projects. But, I admit that the wording in my original post was not entirely clear. For example, it would be helpful to be able to open a mature project as a reference for a newer project.

Version info is provided in original post.

Crash is always a serious bug, even if you do something unexpected or wrong.

Many applications replace the current file with the new one when a new one is opened. That’s what KiCad does. You can start another KiCad instance and open another project there. I do it all the time, although I don’t use Mac.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. By default in macOS, running two concurrent instances of an application is forbidden, though there are workarounds which are more *nix like.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.