Unable to move footprint reference designator

I posted a bug report first but then started to think that may be I’m missing something. May be there is a better way of doing things now in this new and improved KiCad.

Previously moving footprint reference designator worked in PcbNew in any mode (regular cursor or add tracks mode or really any other) All you had to do is to move the cursor over the designator click “M” shortcut and move or rotate it (with “R” shortcut) to where you needed it. During board layout this is used ALL THE TIME. As you move and rotate footprints the designators move and rotate with them, so after each move you need to re-position the designator. In the new “stable” release it doesn’t work anymore (both default and OpenGL modes seem to be affected) Now to move component designator you have to switch into highlight net mode for some reason and then everything works as before.

I can’t imagine anybody in the right mind would implement something like that on purpose. What am I missing?

I can’t reproduce this. I use the latest version built from source.

Yeah, I tested both the latest build and 4.0.1 on fedora and I can’t reproduce.

Art, did you just install 4.0.1? If so where did you download it from? I’d like to test it on windows.

I got it from https://kicad.org/download/windows/

I installed it about a week ago. I wonder if it can be manifesting only to a 64-bit build? Anybody with 64 bit windows out there who can verify?

I haven’t noticed the problem with 64-bit Win7 Home. I’m currently using BZR 6422, but have installed the most current builds every few days since the 4.0.0 release.

Dale

I see the reported problem and there is some unexpected interaction among the “Canvas”, “Mode footprint” and “Highlight Net” states.

Additional information:
With Canvas “Default” and “Mode footprint” active, “Highlight Net” must also be active to move reference designators (hover over text, hit ‘M’ and drag text).

With Canvas “Default” and “Mode footprint” inactive, it works as expected (hover over reference designator text and hit ‘M’ to move). “Highlight Net” mode is irrelevant.

With either Canvas “OpenGL” or “Cairo”, “Mode footprint” state does not matter and “Highlight Net” must be inactive to move reference designators (left-click on text to select it and move it). Hitting ‘M’ to move will deactivate “Highlight Net” automatically.

KiCad: Version 4.0.1-stable, release build
downloaded from https://kicad.org/download/windows/ .

I had the same issue. My solution was to uncheck the icon “Mode footprint: manual and automatic movement and placement” located in the top toolbar (somewhere at the right).
Now you can move silkscreen text again by using “M”. Hope this helps.

Gabriel

1 Like