Unable to fill the ground plane and the voltage plane

I am new to KiCAD. I am trying to fill the ground plane and voltage plan, but I am unable to to do that. Please if anyone can help me.

A filled zone only fills if a pad of the correct net is somehow connected to it. So either the zone must be on the same layer as a pad and in the same area, a track must connect to it which is connected to a pad of the correct net or a via that is part of the correct net.

more details: Filled Copper Zones not showing up in Gerbers/Printouts/3D view

2 Likes

Hey,
Quite frankly I am unable to understand what you are saying, I am quite new to this technical terms. But, what I got from the link you shared and your reply is that I should have some tracks or vias on the layer. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am sharing the gerber of that layer which shows vias and tracks on it. Also, the DRC check is showing me Errtype(4)- Track near pad errors to me and Errtype(7)- Via near track.

Your zones seem to sit on layer In1.Cu and In2.Cu (their colors give it away).

Do you have vias going through your pcb that have the net on them, that the zone has got in it’s settings?

For example, here is a filled zone with net GND on F.Cu (see red circles in settings) that has ‘access’ to some pads of devices that are also net GND (circles in yellow).
As your zones are INSIDE the pcb, you do not have pads, but need to make sure you got VIAS with those nets going to those layers, so that the zones can connect to them.

Btw, are you sure about a 8 layer pcb if you’re having trouble with this? Quite expensive if something goes wrong, due to user/newbie error…:open_mouth:

2 Likes

Oh, and one more thing… do you got a pcb outline defined yet (even a simple temporary rectangle will do) as I think the zones wont fill unless they are INSIDE a pcb outline? Please correct me anyone if I’m wrong. :neutral_face:

[edit] v5.0.2 - zones fill outside of outlines.

Yeah. I have defined the PCB outline.

Hey,
Correct me if I am wrong. You are trying to say is that we need to define proper nets for through and buried vias. Which zone will recognise.

Pretty much yes. You start with a track from a pad that has got the net you want and lay it down, and then create a via/burried via. That should do it for you.

This might be a good read. It is a bit old and does not mention stitching vias which are now supported but the general description of the kicad connectivity algorithm is still valid: Issues related to zones and nets (The thread linked does a good job at describing the underlying reasons as to why things are as they are. Especially the answers by @PCB_Wiz.)

1 Like

If the pcb file isn’t a trade secret you can share it with us. Usually it’s the simplest way to find where the problem is. Screenshots don’t always reveal everything.

PCB_FILE.kicad_pcb (55.6 KB)
Here is my pcb_file

Also, one more thing I am trying to define net for vias, which also I am unable to. I am defining it by going to via’s properties, but still it is not taking it.

Vias get their nets from what they are connected to. There are only two options right now. Either the via is connected by traces (and possibly other vias) to a pad. Or the via is between two zones that have the same net on different layers. More details read the thread i linked above.

Yeah, I gone through it. In that also they have given the same thing. I am trying to connect two layers through the vias (as you can see the picture and also you can go through the pcb_file which I shared). For which I think I need to define a via

Screencast: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N3bYjAEY6ahws9f1yV2up3R7c5tKppnb

The purple zone is GND plane. Take care that zones are shown filled, not just outlined. When a zone touches a via or a pad or a track which has the net defined it will be filled when you fill zones with B. That’s it. In the video I simply add a via to a GND pad. It goes through the board and the inner layer plane can touch it.

2 Likes

How that filling is happening. There no fill when I click B.

Thanks guys, at last I got my PCB filled.
Really thanks alot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.