Unable to add libraries

Hallo,

I’m working with 4.0.2 64bit on Windows 10 Home (64bit of course) and I found to be unable to add the libraries provided within the Kicad setup to fp-lib-table (trough wizard) . When the dialog prompt to ‘select’ the folder where the libraries is supposed to be the ‘next’ button remain ‘gray’ and I’m unable to add such path (C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\modules) neither it’s content (files are not shown anyway).
I tried to move all the content of this folder outside the system path and to ‘separate’ legacy files from pretty ones but event with this the ‘next’ button remains grayed.
I’m able to add legacy files (some libraries I created using older version of kicad) as new files (both mine or components collections from Walter Lain).
Is there a trick to avoid editing fp-lib-table by hand trying to add files/folder one by one?

Best regards,
Mike

It seems that you don’t have any footprint libraries installed because the installer is broken or the devs decide (don’t heard about that) to not include them.

Back to the first step of Wizard. Select “Github repository”, check “Save local copy to:” and validate the proposed path. Click “Next”. In the next step the list of available remote libraries should be presented. You can click “Select all” and then “Next” if you want them all. Wait for validation process, then click “Next”. Now select the “To global library configuration”, and “Finish”. The downloading process should be started.

2 Likes

Uhm nope… I think I understand the issue. The problem comes from the format of the files stored in such folder, they are all brd and kicad_pcb files not .mod or kicad_mod files. I don’t undestand why they come into this folder at this point.

1 Like

@Michele_Santucci I am also facing same problem. Have u find any solution? Please help.

Regards
YSR1991

@ysr1991

You either need to have “local copies” of the github footprint libs activated (and placed them somewhere to point that wizard to) OR manually placed footprint libs (.pretty folders with .kicad_mod files in them) in a folder you point the wizard to.
The modules folder usually doesn’t contain footprint libraries, unless you put some there.

KiCAD doesn’t come with footprint libs. It’s either github or manual local files (you must know where they are).
This get’s you the github files setup to be used during install:

1 Like

Thank you @Joan_Sparky

@keruseykaryu Thanks. There were no libraries in my machine. I got library files with .pretty extension for folder and kicad_mod for files in those folders.
It worked.