UI issue: Gerbview invocation from Kicad project page

In the main Kicad project page, there is a list of files associated with the project down the left hand side. After creating the Gerber files, they appear there too, with the .gbr extension. I see a couple of UI issues with this:

1. If I click on, say, F.Cu.gbr, Gerbview opens and I see the Front Copper. If I then click on B.Cu,gbr, I get a prompt that says “Gerview is already running. Continue?” If I click yes, a second instance of Gerbview opens showing the back copper, and I can’t overlay the two. Wouldn’t the correct prompt be “Open in current instance of Gerbview or new instance?”. Or if you click the X, it abandons the selection process.

2. It would be nice to be able to select all the .gbr files I want to open in Gerbview from the list on the left of the main screen and open them, either using shift-click to bracket a contiguous set, or ctrl-click to pick several.

3. In windows (10 for me) when I click on the KiCad icon on the bottom of my screen, the various open programs “fly out” as icons and I can choose EEschema, PCBnew etc. Gerbview is not in that fly-out group. It is a separate icon. I know KiCad is really just a collection of programs, but it would be quite helpful to have Gerbview grouped with the rest of them.

I realize this is very Windows-centric, but it what I use!
Do these issues arise to a “bug” or request level, or is it just me?

Hi, Gordon. This may not be the answer you want, but I use a free version of Viewmate instead of Gerbview. I can just select the files I want to view from my project folder (including the drill file) and drag it into the Viewmate window and they all appear.

1- Plase open the GerbView application from the KiCad launcher by clicking the GrbView icon.

2- goto File > Load Gerber File > your project folder will open / point to were you have stored the gerber files > Ctrl+A or mouse select all the gerber files and click open.

3- goto File > Load drill file.

1 Like

That’s the KiCAD launcher window @Sujith is referring to:

Yes, I realize all that, and have used it that way. I was just arguing for more consistency/usefulness from the “project explorer” window on the left. I notice in the picture that the gerbers are in a sub-folder. Not sure if that makes any difference, I have them in the same folder as my schematics etc.
Thanks.

When zipping them up for the fab I don’t have to worry I forgot one or put silly stuff in there :wink:

As for the file overview in that project folder… I don’t get it really. I merely ignore it these days as it’s not complete (doesn’t show all files) and works funny as you found out. When I started I was creating a big mess with it’s ‘help’ which wasn’t worth the trouble.
If I mess with files I go via the file browser and if it involves KiCAD I use the applications from that launcher window.

PS: if you use the zip button to archive snapshots of your project be aware that it doesn’t take all files in the project folder.