Typo or intentional?

While working out a little batch file to rename the standard gerber output files to the naming JLPCB prefers, I noticed an oddity in the naming of the output files. The majority of the files generated are of the form projecttitle-F_Mask.gbr, projecttitle-B_Paste.gbr etc.
Thus in the form of “-<upper case F or B>-<upper case char><lower case chars>.gbr.”

The exception is the the “silks” pair that are named “SilkS”.gbr.

So my question, typo or intentional?

Harry

Intentional, short for SilkS(creen). I would be happy with Silk personally though.

2 Likes

If you are trying to generate names like *.GTL, *.GBL, etc. just tick the box Protel Filenames. In general JLCPCB has no difficulty detecting the layers correctly in either naming scheme.

I’ve used both methods in the past, but I had yet again forgotten to tick the box for Protel file names, and rather than regenerating the plot files, was experimented with using the Linux rename utility to re-name the output files and noticed the oddity.

In general I prefer to match the PCB house published file name preferences, as I’ve found that they are loath to reject work, and often manually patch files their automatic system does not recognize. That’s both more unnecessary work for them and also an opportunity for human mistakes.

I’m pretty sure that the JLPCB system copes automatically with the protel name format with the file extension in lower case, so what KiCad outputs with the protel option set is not a problem to them.

Just change that RE to -[FB]-[A-Z][A-Za-z]*.gbr

Also there are two versions of the rename utility in Linux distros. Your distro apparently has the RE version. Other distros have the simple version.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.