Tutorial of simulation in v5 rc2

I’m using V5 rc2 in Linux Mint 18 and I would simulate a very simple circuit: one AC generator, a resistor and a capacitor (low pass filter).
Is there an updated tutorial?
I find few tutorial, all very old that seems very different from simulator included in v5. Or any document that can help me to see simulation working.

I tried the ones in share\kicad\demos\simulation, and they seem to mostly work on the inbuilt V5 sim ?

May be you’re using Windows? In Linux Mint 18 there isn’t this folder.
Installing KiCad using software manager this is what I have
/usr/share/kicad/
├── internat
├── library
├── scripting
└── template
no demos folder.
In KiCad 4 installed in different os (OpenMandriva Linux) I found pspice.sch schematic in folder /usr/share/kicad/demos/pspice/ but unfortunately it doesn’t works in version 5.

There are two videos showing the simulator in action:

There is also a pull request to add a chapter describing the simulator, so there is a chance you will find it in the official documentation soon.

1 Like

Sorry, yes, forgot to mention.

I think that pspice dir fails here too, but under
share\kicad\demos\simulation is some that do seem to work…
laser_driver
rectifier
sallen_key
folders.
The first 2 are in the videos shown in the post above.

1 Like

It seems very interesting. I’ll try to repeat the operations shown.

I think it’s necessary also to learn basic operations, for example: set a generator, associate model to symbol, set graph parameters.

Unfortunately I haven’t demos folder. But I’ll try to design them.

You will find demos/simulation folder in the source code repository.

1 Like

The documentation is already updated. It explains how to interact with ngspice through eeschema, but if one wants to learn simulation principles then it is better to follow the ngspice documentation.

1 Like

I think it was outdated because in the very first page I read
"Publication date and software version

Published on May 30, 2015."
I’ll read attentively.

No luck! I downloaded all files of three schematics but KiCad find similar error in all of them. No way to open.
By the way I don’t understand why installation don’t add demos folder too. I’ll try to reinstall KiCad.
Anyway I’ve been able to design rectifier schematic and simulate it, then first step is done and I can (try to) go further.

Installing “kicad-demo” package I have folder with all simulation demo circuits working.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.