Try to create GX16-5 pins connector (solved)

Hi all,

I tried to make a new connector in my library. I need make a GX16 5 pins connector on board but i want to use same hole for soldering on my board. I need to place separated holes in my schematic but i don’t know how. I need to place 5 pins on different place on my schematic but the on board hole on PCB.

Thank

personally I’d use M12 connectors over those anytime, unless you got to design something ‘heritage’ and have no choice…

?!?
This sentence doesn’t make sense in English IMHO.
What do you want to do?

?!?
You could use multipart symbols to achieve this, but it’s not supported above I think 32 pins…
The expected way is to place a 5 pin symbol and use local labels to connect to where you need them connected to (creating the net).

I sincerely suggest you go on youtube and check out the ‘getting to blinky’ tutorial by chris gammel before you proceed.

2 Likes

If I understand correctly, you want to separate the five pins from each other and place them at different physical locations on your schematic diagram. In KiCAD you would have to either make a separate connector symbol for each pin, or possibly draft a connector symbol as a multi-unit symbol and assign a separate unit to each pin.

My advice is, “Don’t do it.”. Keep the 5 pins grouped together so they are visually associated with each other. Use labels or net names to show the electrical connections to other parts of the circuit. This screen capture shows how I did this on a recent project:

Many of us - perhaps most of us - are accustomed to seeing connector pins grouped together in a schematic symbol. That helps us keep a mental link between the physical part’s function, and the electrical abstraction of a schematic diagram. I HAVE seen diagrams that separated connector pins from each other and scattered them throughout the schematic. This often resulted in confusion when engineers or technicians looked at a single, separated, connector pin and tried to remember which physical connector it came from and what other signals were carried in that connector.

[quote]
. . . . but i want to use same hole for soldering on my board . . . . [/quote]
I don’t understand this statement. Can you try to explain it? Or provide a picture that illustrates what you are trying to do?

Dale

3 Likes

Great minds think alike! You beat me to it while I was busy taking photos, processing film, and making prints!

Dale

Thank for all. Sorry for my poor english, i’m french. Ok i use solution with use label name, i’ts very simple.

Having checked what a GX16-5 was, that is a connector that is not usually directly PCB mounted

I know, but i want to do a project similar like that.

As I said, if you can chose the connector, go with M12.

So, i can’t find M12 in library. Where is it and exact name ???

thank

I don’t know if there are M12 connectors in the KiCAD footprint/symbol libs, I only used the panel mount variety of them in the past.
But I do know that they have pcb mount types (angled/straight) for both male and female shells.
Also they are nicer than those old GX16 ones and you can have more than 5 pins in there as well for M12 (M8 goes to 4 pins I think, even smaller and cuter).

Everybody in the industrial control area is using them for ethernet/sensors/power/data.

PS: (spam) if you’re after some economical ones, try indus from China. Very friendly and helpful lot.

1 Like

The GX16-5 is actually available with PCB pins.

@Rejean_Maltais If you have a GX16-5 then measure it and create a footprint.

2 Likes

I wanted to be sure that @Rejean_Maltais original post actually was planning a PCB connector or if he was planning a panel connector with flying leads to individual PCB holes. The first post is confusing.

Off-topic; Sunday “humour”

3 Likes

Amphenol is my solution for create my footprint. The real size that i want is the M16 size. I found all spec on Amphenol site:

1 Like

If that is a PCB layout, and viewed from the top, then I think you could use the Circular Pad Array footprint wizard, e.g.

You will need to delete pad 6 after running the wizard.

3 Likes

The first post was beyond confusing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even with the confusion, we answered the original questions, and shared additional information that may lead to a better overall design. Not a bad result, for a group of people spread across three continents. :grinning:

Dale

4 Likes

You rock ! Thanks very muchn it worked perfectly.