Trouble With Duplicated Symbols

I have two pair of symbols with different names that I want to delete one of the names. The two pairings, which I don’t know how I got in the first place are:
C_0 and CAP1
C_0_0 and CAP2
If I delete C_0 the program deletes CAP1 also and if I delete C_0_0 the program deletes CAP2 also. How do I delete C_0 and C_0_0 without deleting CAP1 and CAP2?
–Thanks, Larry

Are these are in hierarchy sheets of the same schematic file?

These symbols are in my library, not in any schematic diagram–sorry for not making that clear. I am using KiCad 5.0.1 with my Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS OS.
–Larry

Isn’t CAP1 an alias to C_0?

But if you delete CAP1 and CAP2 are also C_0 and C_0_0 deleted?

I don’t know what you mean by alias. The dictionary definition I looked at says “used to indicate that a named person is also known or more familiar under another specified name.” I don’t want it to have two names. These are separate named symbols in my library, that is there is:
C_0
C_0_0
CAP1
CAP2
I want the symbols named CAP1 and CAP2 used in my schematic diagrams and those are the names I pick when I do so. But somehow there is a link between C_0 and CAP1 and between C_0_0 and CAP2 that I want to break so I can delete C_0 and C_0_0. I guess there is an option to assign an alias but I did not do it on purpose.
–Larry

I don’t know if I delete CAP1 if C_0 will be deleted. Guess I’ll have to try that to answer that question. If I do delete CAP1 and C_0 remains, then what? And if I delete CAP1 and C_0 is deleted, then what?
–Larry

I just supposed you have CAP1 defined as C_0 alias so deleting C_0 would also delete CAP1. I didn’t used V5 symbol library editor yet (and 4.0.7 I used half year ago). I don’t know what else could be.

KiCad symbols can have aliases. Aliases are sadly listed in the sidebar as if they are full symbols. if you however double click onto an alias in that sidebar then you will notice that something else will be highlighted in the sidebar. To delete aliases open the symbol properties dialog and switch to the alias tab. There you can create edit and delete aliases of symbols.

Something to look at carefully is if any of those symbols names in your library browser are italicized. Italicized names are aliases so you would follow Rene’s instructions for managing them.

How about share us that symbol files?

Yes, they were aliases. I followed your instructions and deleted the alias names. I don’t know how the aliases were created. KiCad did it on its own, I didn’t do it myself.
–Larry

Yes, they were in italics. Thanks everyone for your valuable information.
–Larry

You have already discovered that then CAP1 was an alias of C_0…
Happy to know you solved your problem.

Actually it was the other way around. C_0 was an alias in the CAP1 information. I edited the CAP1 information to delete the alias C_0 and I edited the CAP2 information to delete the alias C_0_0. Everything okay now.
–Larry

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.