Trouble with 3D model : some step files works, others don't display

Hi all,

I’m new on this forum, but I use KiCad for nearly a year now, designing PCBs for my new job (On WIn7. works fine)

I recently upgrade from V4 to V5, and I love using the 3D step generator, which is quite usefull in my work (giving Step model of PCBs to my mechanics colleagues).

For one of my project, I have to implement Molex connectors. I have downloaded the .stp models I needed direclty from the molex website, and added them in a folder on a local server.

My problem is that some model works perfectly (miniFit Jr), others don’t display (picoblades).

I try to open both with FreeCad, both of them works fine.

I tried to regenerate steps models with freeCad from the Molex step model, that doesn’t work.

I generate a step model from blank sheet for another component with the same FreeCad version, This one works perfectly.

Does anyone sees what’s going one ? This problem driving me crazy…

My KiCad Versions :

Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.2)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

My FreeCad Version :

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

Have you tried the StepUp FreeCAD add-on workbench and exporting from there? It can create KiCad compatible step and wrl models.

I’m going to test that right now.

I Installed kicadStepUpMod from the FreeCad addon manager, and i tried to export new models with default parameters :
Mesh Deviation : 0.03
CreaseAngle : 0.5
materials : as is

Now, both WRL models works, but.step generated with this workbench failed to be displayed

Would you mind to post the model (even in PM if you prefer)?
Are you using the exported step model or the original one?

Sorry, I’m new user, I cannot attach anything but one picture…

I can not send you PM either…

How can i send the models ?

Update :
I said that the models are stocked on a local server.
I copy them on my local disk (C:) and now they are perfectly read and works fine.

Weird side effect, now the picoblade model works fine even the server copy. but not other server copy of others models copy on my disk and read from it.

That can be a clue : the model witch worked from the server was previously stored on my local disk, and read from it, before beeing copied to the server.

Models which were stored direclty on the server doesnt work at first. But when copied on my local disk and read from it, they work perfectly.

I assume that this problem is related to the server or its use. Unfortunalty, I cannot give any information concernig it because i’m not in charge of it.

I don’t understand. but the step model on my local disk works fine.

this may be related to the STEP search/build module path in kicad code
it could be nice to file a bug here

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.