Transformers

I am looking for a transformer that will step down 230v to 12v, am struggling to find one. any suggestions? cheers.

Do you want a symbol for one? Have you looked in the symbol library for a generic transformer symbol?

Edit: Here the basic one primary one secondary transformer from the KiCad library:

Otherwise if you’re looking for a shop to buy one from then check the usual suspects (Mouser, Digi-Key, LCSC, eBay, AliExpress, etc). Advice for shopping for components isn’t a suitable topic for this forum which is for discussing usage of KiCad.

If you are looking for the actual physical part, I would google AC adapters. I have a few 120 to 12V. I’m guessing our friends in the UK will have an assortment of 230V units

Also if you are looking to power a device that takes 12V DC then what you are looking for is a power adapter (sometimes called wall warts) which these days are all SMPS. They are widely available off the shelf in a range of power ratings. You might even get one from a friend as they used to be provided with routers and external desktop drives, among other devices. Only if you really need 12V AC then you need an old-school iron core transformer.

When my dad explained to me how a transformer works I wound one with 7 turns of primary and 1 turn of secondary. When I connected it to AC220V I did not get the expected 31V at the output.
My suggestion - do not follow my way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One of the most common transformers in the world. Either trolling or someone doing AI testing.

1 Like

It transformed your 220V outlet into a 0V outlet. :rofl:

When I asked my friend at the market about the transformer toys he sold he explained that they transformed 1.5V cells into 0V cells to the chagrin of parents paying for them. :wink:

Not only one outlet but all flat power. I noticed that there was no electricity, but I didn’t associate it with my actions. Electricity cuts happened frequently in those days so I thought that just when I need it to my experiment it was switched off. When few hours later my mom came home her first concern was the water in the fridge. When later my dad came he immediately discovered that the fuse had tripped.

1 Like

The original poster hasn’t given any indication that the question is directly related to using KiCad.