Traces instead of pad on Gerber output

i got complaint from my PCB manufacturer about my design files, this is second time they complaint about this problem

they said some PADS are filled with traces or polygons, they need to rework my Gerber every time
i uploaded two pictures they sent to me below, in which they show the problem in official kicad phoenix connectors footprint, in thier software it shows pads:0, traces 247 , that is the problem

i attached footprint file which are problem, below, all are official kicad footprints from GitHub, name is slightly changed for my convenience

PhoenixContact_MSTBA_2,5_2-G-5,08_1x02_P5.08mm_Horizontal.kicad_mod (3.2 KB) PhoenixContact_MSTBA_2,5_3-G-5,08_1x03_P5.08mm_Horizontal.kicad_mod (3.8 KB) JST_XH_S02B-XH-A-1_1x02_P2.50mm_Horizontal.kicad_mod (3.5 KB)

my plot configuration

sorry for late reply,
kicad v5.1.5
for teardrop i used external plugin :from NilujePerchut/
U1 - edited pad size of official kicad footprint TQFP for hand soldering / low quality pick and place machine
U2,U3,U4 - digikey footprint
they complain on J2,J3,j4 (circled in picture), which are kicad official footprint, untouched i didn’t edited that. pls check i uploaded the files

gerber file
kicad info.zip (56.0 KB)

earlier backup of this project without tear drops
gerber_without_teardrop.zip (35.8 KB)

These don’t really look like KiCad gerbers. Rectangular pads, teardrops, unusual silk…
Are you sure those are the right files?

Besides: Your fab sends you photos of their screen complete with random junk lying around via WhatsApp? :grinning:

1 Like

Do you mind telling us who the PCB company is? Other’s may have experience with them. Also, I poked around a couple random phoenix footprints and saw nothing unusual. Can you specify which ones? Also, a screen shot of:

1 Like

Quite normal especially for through hole connectors (there we typically have a rectangular pad to indicate pin 1 and oval pads for all others)

In this case take a look at the MSTB series connectors in connector_phoenix.

Looks perfectly normal to me.

While not supported out of the box there are extensions to add them. However, the use of such an extension might make gerbers strange so if this is indeed how teardrops were added then this detail might be important.

1 Like

Actually, I didn’t pay much attention to the THT footprints.
But U1-U4 silk doesn’t look normal to me, especially the angled pin 1 indicators.
SMT IC FP rect pads aren’t normal and I don’t think we have tiny silk marks at the ends of SMT cap and resistor footprints.

That being said, it’s all pretty much guesswork as long as the OP only gives us these two “screenshots”.

1 Like

sorry for late reply,
kicad v5.1.5
for teardrop i used external plugin :from NilujePerchut/
for some component i used digikey footprint

U1 - edited pad size of official kicad footprint TQFP for hand soldering / low quality pick and place machine
U2,U3,U4 - digikey footprint
they complain on J2,J3,j4 (circled in picture), which are kicad official footprint, untouched i didn’t edited that. pls check i uploaded the files

sorry for late reply, i updated the question with your information

i can’t put company name here, i need to ask their permission, they are long time supplier for our company,

Other’s may have experience with them

yes, he said every time if someone send design file from kicad, he need to rework, some times he reworked all pad from that pcb, he said he don’t see problem like this in orcad or eagle , he said he won’t complain the customer because customer simply switch PCB manufacturer

sorry for late reply, i updated the question with your information

5.1.6 X1 output.

Traces are traces, rectangles are rectangles, ovals are ovals, roundrects are polygons (there’s no standard gerber aperture for those AFAIK).

Looks fine to me.

If KiCad is really the one to blame it would be everyone’s interest to get this fixed. Could you ask for an exact technical explanation from the manufacturer?

they said some PADS are filled with traces or polygons

We need more information about this. I have a hunch about this, but why do other manufacturers accept this without a hickup if it’s problematic?

1 Like

Do you mind sharing your hunch?
I take it the rounded rectangles are the problem, but they’re not painted using traces as far as I can see.

Maybe they expect flashes for all pads, for some reason.

I would also like to know if they accept “extended X2” format and if it could help. It may include some metadata for pads.

EDIT: Also, if my memory serves me correctly, older versions of KiCad generated gerbers so that rounded corners, both in pads and in zones, were made with polygon + bunch of lines. Rounded pads had a rounded polygon and something which looked like traces on top of the border of the pad. I can’t see that in v5.1.6, though.

That explains it.
@vignesh_waran What version are you using?

The shapes highlighted in your screenshots are not available as primitives in Gerber. So the question is how you represent them.
Plenty of CAD systems output ‘painted pads’. The shape is made up with a jumble of traces. This is a paid for the fabricator as he must reassemble the pads from the jumble. Fabricators hate painted pads. They are evil. If KiCad Gerbers were to contain painted pads then your fabricator is right to complain. However, AFAIK, KiCad does not paint pads.
KiCad outputs these shapes as a single polygon. Nice and clean. And indeed, in X2 these polygons are clearly identified as SMD pads. Completely unequivocal. I do not see what there is to complain about. If you fabricator has a problem with this, the problem is with his software, not with KiCad.

2 Likes

Application: KiCad
Version: (5.1.5)-3, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

This would be much easier if we could have an actual problematic gerber file to look into. And, as I said, the exact technical explanation from the manufacturer.

1 Like

uploaded the Gerber file in bottom of the question , pls check

I don’t see a link… EDIT: it’s in the first post.

There’s a lot of line segments along the teardrops.
Can you upload one without the teardrop plugin?

Edit: Also inside the pads in question