Touchpad to zoom missing from 5.99?

Using Big Sur 11.1 the touchpad just copies mouse movements, pinch to zoom and three finger swipe to pan do not seem to work using 5.99 as of 1/28/2021. With 5.18 there was a preference “Use touchpad to pan” which I don’t see in 5.99. Checking the gitlab repo I do not see this as an outstanding issue - is this not planned?

Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.99.0-8687-g7f6e07488f), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.64.1 SecureTransport (LibreSSL/2.8.3) zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.41.0
Platform: macOS Version 10.16 (Build 20B50), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Build Info:
Date: Jan 28 2021 06:34:25
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.75.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.54.0
ngspice: 31
Compiler: Clang 10.0.1 with C++ ABI 1002

Look in Preferences > Mouse and Touchpad. It’s much more configurable than it was in 5.1.

Yep, seen that - no touchpad options or any options that allow me to use the touchpad for pan & zoom though. I see “vertical touchpad” (huh?) and selected the Zoom + – option but the touchpad just moves the cursor. No zoom no pad.

This setting makes two-finger touchpad movement zoom for me:

Yes that is my setting also but no dice. And besides zoom, drag/pan with touchpad how is that supported supossedly?

With the above settings it would pan with the Alt or Shift keys down. (I can’t confirm that because I normally have it set to pan with no modifiers.)

I have my trackpad set up for three-finger drag. But that’s done on the OSX side, not in Kicad. Kicad just receives drag events.

To clarify terms: 2-finger scrolling means sliding 2 fingers across the trackpad while not pressing down. 2-finger drag means the same but pressing down to “click”. Scrolling is also sometimes called “mouse wheel movement” because the same events are generated when you scroll on a trackpad and when you roll the wheel on a mouse that has one.

By default on MacOS, middle button drag is inaccessible with just the trackpad, and clicking while dragging with 2 fingers performs a right button drag. What happens when you do that is configured in the “right button drag” section, by default this is panning. This is a new feature in 5.99; 5.1 didn’t have the ability to pan or zoom with dragging.

The behavior of sliding 2 fingers around on the touchpad without clicking is controlled in the bottom section.

You need to set it more like below if you want 2-finger scroll to pan up and down rather than zooming:

(I normally set it up like Jeff though, and use right-drag, i.e. 2-finger drag, to pan around instead of just 2-finger scroll)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.