Tilde to denote overbar doesn't work for me

I’m new to Kicad, and I’m trying to use the tilde to indicate an active-low signal. However, either I’m doing something wrong, or it doesn’t work correctly in my installation. I’m using Kicad 6.0.0-0 on a new MacBook Air running Monterey 12.0.1. When I include the tilde character in my signal name, the tilde simply appears in the name and does not get converted to an overbar; i.e. I would get ~TEST~.

Does anyone have any clues as to what I might be doing wrong (or confirmation that I’m not the only one seeing this).

1 Like

The new syntax is ~{Text with overbar}

If you are ever stuck, just click on the Syntax help hyperlink:

8 Likes

Wow, that was quick. Thanks a lot!

3 Likes

Thank you very much for asking this! Are you also learning Kicad for a school project?

Just curious: Are students learning KiCad at school?

Any formal education in KiCad, or is it more that you need to design some circuit for a lab and just happen to use KiCad?

No, I left school a long time ago and have worked for many years as an electronic engineer. I started to use KiCad because I was looking for a low-cost tool to use on private projects. I really like like it. It’s cheap (free), does everything I need, and it’s easy to use. It’s also one of the native formats supported by some of the low-volume PCB manufacturers in my region.

1 Like

Well we should have a formal education but my professors spend our lectures talking about nonsense and just said “go teach yourself over winter break from online videos”. So now I guess I’m paying this school just to be taught by Youtube haha.

1 Like

Agreed! Thanks for the response

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.