TI MSP432 microcontrollers

Anyone have a model for the MSP432P401R, 128-pin device?

Thank you!
Dave

Are you truly looking for a “model” - such as used by a simulation program? I don’t believe KiCAD, even with the NGSpice extensions, has the ability to model a microcontroller.

Or, are you looking for a schematic symbol? That is a question that could generate an extensive discussion, since many of us create custom symbols almost every time we use a microcontroller in a project.

Or, are you seeking a footprint? You’ll have to provide some more information, since most microcontrollers are available in several different packages.

Dale

@dchisholm

Well, Dave selected “Layout Footprint” in the forum software; but used the term “model” in the request. And, silly you, you forgot to ask him the final question, “Or, are you seeking a 3D model?”

I’m willing to wager a nickle that the answer is yes to “all of the above”!

Yep, you caught me on that one. He could be looking for a 3-D model. Perhaps it is time to expand @Rene_Poschl’s FAQ, What is the difference between footprints and symbols? to include models.

I also see that he’s looking for the “128 pin” version of this part, but a quick scan of the TI Product Page doesn’t show a 128-pin version - only a 64-pin VQFN, an 80-pin NFBGA, and a 100-pin LQFP.

Dale

1 Like

Correct, Sprig!
I was looking for all three, or at least symbol and footprint.
I found the footprint (BTW, if it wasn’t obvious, I’m completely new to KiCad), an LQFP-128, with 0.4mm pitch.
And thinking about Dale’s response, yeah, maybe not a complete schematic symbol, with all pins defined. I see the advantage of building the symbol(s) as needed, with the pins required. And for complex devices like a microcontroller, breaking it into multiple (U1a, b, etc.) sections. Does the symbol editor allow for that? So the separate sections can be placed anywhere around the schematic pages?

I don’t see any reference to a 128 pin option in the datasheet or ordering information

1 Like

Thanks, Rene! I will digest these.

One related question:
Once created, can I rotate a footprint by 45°, or are we restricted to 90° increments?

Dave

Probably because I pasted the wrong part number version.
The device selected is MSP432E401Y, and is an LQFP-128 with tiny 0.40mm pin pitch.
There is a footprint already, so that’s no longer an issue.

Dave

One cane rotate a placed footprint by any angle within the footprint properties dialog.

Perfect, thank you!

Here’s one more for you, as the KiCad guru:
When I create a new Symbol, and assign pin function names and additional information, is there a place where I can access the symbol file, and is it ASCII editable?
I’m thinking of a means to import a text file, even if it’s somewhat tedious, to assign the multiple functions a microcontroller can use on the many I/O pins. (PDx, AINx, Int, SPI, etc.)

All kicad file formats are human readable. The file is wherever you decided to place it.

MSP432E401Y looks better, a 128 pin TQFP. I have hand soldered the 0.4mm pitch TQFP before now. It is fairly common to see the TQFP footprints rotated by 45 degrees, which is allowed by KiCad

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.