Thoughts/suggestions on Version 5

I have been using the V5 nightly builds for the last couple of weeks, and I am favorably impressed. I have a couple of observations:

1. When I switched to the new Symbol Library Manager, it dumped pretty much all of my parts into a “Rescue” file. This was nice, but now I have had to go through the parts one-by-one and restore the links. I assume this is because for the first time run, my libraries were not in the Symbol Library Manager, and so it did the best it could. It would be nice to have a description of how to avoid this when switching a project up to 5.
  2. When placing a symbol on a schematic, the location of the fields is re-arranged from what it was when the symbol was created. I spent quite a bit of time in my symbol libraries putting the fields where I like them in relation to the symbol. This worked fine in V4, but V5 seems determined to change them!
  3. Given the vast number of symbols, footprints etc, I was wondering how hard it would be, when you have a symbol open in the editor and are examining it’s properties, if there is a footprint listed, if you could right click on it and have a “Open footprint in FP editor” option. It would save a lot of hunting around. Maybe there already is a way to do this that I have not found?
    Good work dev’s, I am looking forward to the full release.
1 Like

For #1, I’m hoping the docs team will have a good documentation of everything involved in the new symbol library system before the official 5.0 release.

For #2, go to Preferences->General Options->Editing, and turn off “Automatically place symbol fields”
You can still run the autoplacer on an individual component by right-clicking on it and choosing “Autoplace Fields”.

#3 is probably not hard to implement; if you have time please add it to the launchpad bug tracker as a feature request.

3 Likes

Thanks- that helps.

I placed #3 on the bug tracker.

This topic was automatically closed 29 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.