"This pin is not on a 50 mils grid..."

I am completely new to KiCAD and attempting to follow the videos in Getting to Blinky and getting frustrated with Creating Schematic Symbols.

I’m on an Arch Linux system with KiCAD 5.1.1. As in the video (at approx 8:35), I “set the grid to 25.0 mil instead of 50.0”. Should I not have done that? Because now, everything I do gives me:

This pin is not on a 50 mils grid which will make it difficult to connect to in the schematic.

I eventually found a setting that suggested it would auto-snap, but it doesn’t appear to be doing so. (I deleted the part, closed KiCAD et al, and restarted after changing the preference, but, no joy.)

(Also, my pins get not only the number and name, but have the text Input hanging off the ends of them.)

I personally am not a fan of using anything smaller than 50 mil grid for placing symbol pins. If you use 25 mil grid then you will also need to use 25 mil grid to draw the schematic.

this is the visualization of the electrical type (new to version 5)

My personal tutorial for creating symbols that includes many of the new features added in 5.1 is found in the forum faq: Tutorial: How to make a symbol (KiCad v5.1.x) (I also include an explanation about the usage of the grid)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.