Thermal Analysis Followup

Most likely, not of real interest to others… The objective here is to show the simplicity of doing an FEA on a PCB using FreeCAD and CalculiX plugin, without going into details.

This grew from curiosity about getting the traces into FreeCAD and doing a FEA on them and a previous post…

I was not interested in the PCB, having Thru-Holes, Footprints, , correct materials…etc. That stuff is easy to include and should be done for a Real analysis.

Thus, from Kicad, I Plotted DXF for Top Traces only.

In FreeCAD/Stepup wb, I used the ‘DXF to Sketch’ tool.

Extruded the result. Thus, resulting with padded traces. I used thickness of 0.01mm just to have a thin trace but thick enough for default Mesh parameters.

Added Fixed constraint.
Added Initial Temperature constraint (300˚K).
Added the second Temp (302˚K).

Constraint icons are hidden as their default size is too big for the small traces and I didn’t want to mess with changing them.

Because the default ∆T is 1sec and traces are very thin, they heat instantly. Thus, the Temperature Plot shows only final Temp.

Two Displays are shown: Temperature and Displacement

Again, a proper FEA would include PCB, correct Trace Thickness and material, constraints, footprints… etc. And, more importantly, a custom defined Equation for the Heating which, could include Current, Voltage, Resistance… whatever. Sure, I could have used different starting and final temps…

4 Likes

Following up with a more realistic FEA…

Recognize that realistic output requires realistic input. There are robust options out there but, targeting users preferring No Cost and Minimal effort/hassle, this is about using FreeCad and the Default FEM CalculiX. There are other Solvers and approaches to explore by Curious folks - this may wet your thirst (or send you running).

VERY GENERAL STEPS:
• In Kicad, Plot DXF’s of traces and board shape (edge-cut layer)
• Import DXF into FreeCAD/Stepup
• Cleanup and delete unneeded lines
• Extrude PCB shape
• Select the DXF Trace lines, use DXF to 2D Object tool. It creates a Face
• Extrude the resulting trace Face
• Make Compound of PCB and extruded Trace Face
• Mesh the Compound (use Gmsh)
• Hand calculate Temp of worst-case Trace temp
• Set PCB and Trace material to the same material
• Hand-tweak the Material and Thermal properties of the Trace material (cannot use different material selection, thus, tweak it)
• Add Fixed constraint
• Add Heatflux/Temp load constraint
• Add Initial Temp
• CCX Solver: Write .inp, wait until finished
• CCX Solver: Run Calculix
• Select CCX Results and display as desired

• Display as desired - various options and tweaks.
• Can export .VTK of ‘Result’ for displaying in ParaView

Screenshots…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.