The importance of 'likes' in the Discourse software world

Anything I can help you guys with? :crazy_face:

TL4 now has got 3 active members locked in, hope that gives you more autonomy :wink:
I moved the level for Rene and bobc to TL3, might need to add a calendar note to unlock this within 12 months?!.
And yeah, I think I locked in the TL4’s as the requirements to keep TL3/4 are too strict for our purposes here.

As I don’t frequent the forum daily right now and I am not up to speed on things… open a thread in the internal area in case you want to promote people to the mod-rooster to keep up with the load please (if needed).

further…
I think the rating to get into those levels can be adjusted… but I’ve never been that deep in the system, as my usage mirrors @hermit 's
I’d wait on @ChrisGammell before I’d change anything there, but I can look around and see what is available and tell you the options?.. give me 24 hours to get back to ya peeps.

Hm, quicker than I thought…

I think I posted that link in the past:

As far as I can tell, the KiCad info forum trust level settings are stock.
So what the blog describes should apply to this forum right now.
If any of those settings needs adjusting we prob want to discuss it and I won’t do it without Chris’s consent, as I’m just a guest (if even a powerful one :wink: )

1 Like

Anything could be changed, as @Joan_Sparky alludes to. Would love to have a list of missing features for different levels, though. For instance, we can make the wiki functions available at lower levels, but there are downsides to that as well. More of a community question of “how many wikis should there be?” and “what is the criteria to start one on a topic” (it would be annoying if every post was a wiki by default). Here are the settings around wikis currently:

We can also make it easier to upgrade to the next Trust Level, but they were stock based on the idea that the Discourse folks set them where they are for a reason.

I actually didn’t realize that TL4 is only manual promotion (from the Discourse link above):

So that’s on me for not assigning that to people. Becoming a mod/admin shortcuts that process, effectively.

2 Likes

I think mods couldn’t do stuff that TL4’s can do… which is why I made Rene, bobc and hermit TL4 a (long) while back upon turning them into mods (after I got promoted to admin) :partying_face:
It’s locked in when it’s being set, which is why I removed it from Rene and bobc now, but locked them into TL3, so they got enough power to edit ‘their’ stuff I think.
All the other TL3’s right now are there on their own power so to speak and as far as I’m aware pretty much anybody can look at those lists via the menu at the right top, next to your avatar and there under Groups:

None of this is a problem as such at the moment. The thread was more about raising awareness of how the software works in general. I think we’re leaning towards just locking some users at level 3 as the need arises. Even that is going to be occasional at this point.

Curious because I think this started because a level 2 COULDN’T see an edit button for the V6 FAQ/WIKI thread. That’s why the lock level 3 came up. Now I see the default is ‘basic user’. Strange.

1 Like

Groups looks for me like this (but I might be misunderstanding things):

1 Like

hm, would have thought you can see the basic stuff there too (trust levels), seems not to be the case. Sorry.
So where @jmk has been in the Badges view is the next best thing I guess (a bit more polished, less functional) giving you Basic, Member, Regular and Leader respectively.
No setting I can identify that would change that view (also no google link that comes up when I search for it)

*PS: Just tried in another discourse forum where I’m just a Member and can confirm that I don’t see the trust level groups, only via the Badges view it’s possible to see that stuff.

1 Like

This morning I am not seeing the pinned FAQ at all, odd
Still there if I select the FAQ, so it is unpinned for me. Was this intended?

Are you people certain that this should be a public thread?
Looks more like internal moderator bickering to me.

There are personal options that over ride pinning. Like if you reach the bottom it is considered ‘read’ I guess.

1 Like

Yes. Understanding how this software works benefits users in understanding why they can and cannot access certain functions. Nothing here to hide. Some could see a loss of abilities to do something as a personal decision by the mods when the truth is the software is making these decisions.

You have a strange definition of bickering. :wink:

5 Likes

No bickering, we are discovering part of the forum capabilities that we never knew about

The path of all the community ‘leaders’ here is pretty similar - we work with KiCAD for whatever reason and came to this forum (which is technically run by Chris) to ask/answer questions and stayed to also do a bit more to keep the community ‘peaceful’ and the forum free from spam/trolls/etc.
So most of us do not have a forum-moderation background, nor would pretty much any of the potential future mods.
There is nothing really to hide here, esp by how Discourse itself is set up to function as forum for a self-policing community.

If there was bickering we’d be using the non-public avenues that are available, no worries.
But so far that was never needed. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I read no bickering, just a very informative thread.
Thank you all participants.

1 Like

I went through some user lists (top liked) and locked over 30 users to level 3. The selection process was quick and subjective, so many trustworthy members are still at level 2 (or even 1 in case of rare appearances), but the most active should now be at 3.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.