The grid settings of the "Schematics" are "constantly changing" somehow to value different than the default 50 mils. This is really annoying. Is this a bug? Is there someone else experiencing the same issue?

You said this. I tried to check if that could happen by mistake. And I don’t think this is the case.

Sorry, wasn’t sure what you were writing about.
Holding the Ctrl key down disables the grid altogether. It is not a setting as such.

Dude. This is another question, not related your comment, but with the issue.

Where does the grid settings is stored on my system/project? Do you know?

Grid properties, which, when right button clicked, shows the Grid Settings box as shown above.

Changing the grid in the schematic seems to be a global feature. To check this, change the grid, then close your project and open another project. The changed grid remains. I do not know whether this is intentional or a bug.

A lot of the grid settings are stored in the configuration directory. For my Linux box it’s in ~/.config/kicad/6.0/BlaBla.json Those files also hold the tables for the grid selection, and you can modify those tables. I did this for the PCB Editor to shorten the list of grids to select a new grid from.

But if you want to be sure, just open a project, then change something, save it and exit KiCad. The changes are in the newest files. If you do this in a copy you can easily use a diff tool such as meldmerge to quickly find any differences.

1 Like

Hi L, E, and G,
Apologies for jumping in L.

After re-setting as/instructed.

Thanks.
C

There is at least one zero in the standard length, which should make them only half gnashing :slightly_smiling_face:

No reason to ruin my dentures. Or half of them…

@camerart There is no need to have the symbol exactly following the shape and pinout of the component.
The symbol is just an abstract representation of the component and is best drawn to enable the reader to understand the circuit flow.
Your symbol would be improved by at least making a rectangle rather than a square so the names of the pins are all readable rather than overlapping.
The below is a good example of schematic representation:
power, top and bottom
inputs, left
outputs, right and in order
names, easy to read
pin numbers… where they happen to fall.

‘Fit to page’. :wink:

Yeah, I actually did think of that when posting but the truth is in reality, once you set page size, you are just working to that area and the units inside it don’t mean much.

Some people use ONLY their own custom made libraries and why they choose the grid size is up to them so removing the choice probably isn’t an option.

Agree.
I like using “barley corns” as a standard of measurement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk

Sorry, it looks like I am not doing a good job explaining things today. I would like to know where grid settings are “stored in the filesystem”. Which file? Is this a project setting or a local user setting? I would like to be able to track from where this issue is coming because it is annoying me so much.

Maybe read my previous post?

Hi J,
[How did you do that @CAMERART thing?]

I’ve been told about the shape of SYMBOLS before, but it’s taken weeks to get to this stage, and I don’t want to break my method, just now. I’ll try later thanks. (I copy the D/S shape)
C.

Hi J,
I had a re-think, and your sugestion is better, thanks.
C

Type @ and a list of about six contributors to the thread will appear.
Left click mouse on the contributor you wish to include.
If there are a large number of contributors to the thread and the one you wish to mention is not in the list, start typing their name after you have typed the @. Their name will soon appear, then click on it.

Sometimes, after drawing a symbol, placing it on the schematic, and connecting with wires, I have felt the schematic still looks messy.
I have been known to redraw the symbol more than once to make the wire connections less confusing.

I suppose it all depends on your someones OCD levels! :smiley:

@jmk (Hi J, That’s good!)

Have you heard of the snail climbing out of a well? It climes 3foot, then slides back 2. This is my modus operandus. I’ll have a try, almost get it, but fail. Cut and paste all of that into an OLD folder and start again.

I think OCD means my skills level? Using programs such as Kicad is not my best skill, and I program PICs, which is another. I can make the object with a PIC on easily, then spend years making the PCB and programming the PIC. Apart from a constant headache, I enjoy it, and really appreciate, help from forums such as this, as it gets me to do things, that are impossible.

Here is the latest itteration of the SCH, when I update the PCB, there are errors. This PINS on the BGA are too big, so I’ve got to go back to GO.
C

OCD means Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and is a severe mental disease, overshadowing one’s life…

Unfortunately it is used jokingly when someone wants to get things extremly right or wants to have things extremely orderly all the time. They mean no harm, however. It’s just thoughtless…

2 Likes

@leoheck Hi L,

I’ve been having trouble with the GRID not aligning.
I’ve had to make my own SYMBOL in the editor.

The GRID keeps setting to one of my earlier choices, and even though I save it, I keep getting this.

In the SYMBOL editor under VIEW-> GRID settings keep checking that it shows ‘GRID 1.27mm (0.50)’ and watch this right through the process.
Good luck.
C