Something I’ve noticed (and just now verified on Win64 5.1.6) is once one of the fields is manually moved some sort of flag for autoplacement for that symbol is turned off. My experiment:
- Verify that autoplacement is turned on.
- Load a symbol from a library and place it on the sheet. Turn off symbol placement mode.
- While the pointer is over the symbol, repeatedly press the “r” button (I did it non-shifted, shifted doesn’t work, but shift-lock seems to be ignored). Watch how the text is laid out compared to the rotation of the symbol.
- Move either the Ref’d or the value.
- While the pointer is over the symbol, repeated press the “r” button. Watch how the text placement now rotates with the symbol.
- While the pointer is over the symbol, press the “o” button to restate the automatic placement.
- While the pointer is still over the symbol, repeated press the “r” button. Watch how the text placement matches the first rotation through the rotation of the symbol.
I’ve tried looking at the properties of symbol as well as the text elements, and I don’t see any sort of autoplacement mode flag. Yet the program acts like there is one. I wonder if the saving of the schematic and then reloading looses this flag state?