Text assertion failed workaround 5.0.0

I know a fix has been pushed for this bug for 5.1, but I was wondering if there are any workarounds to preventing eeschema from crashing when trying to insert text in Linux for 5.0? For a while I was able to just tell it to continue, but just now it just crashes instantly. I suppose I could use windows to insert all my text but that’s annoying and complicated. I’ve tried to build myself but Debian 9 is grumpy about the packages required and I haven’t spent a lot of time on it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Application: kicad
Version: 5.0.0+dfsg1-2, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.0 OpenSSL/1.1.0f zlib/1.2.8 libpsl/0.17.0 (+libidn2/0.16) libssh2/1.7.0 nghttp2/1.18.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.9.0-7-amd64 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
Boost: 1.62.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.0
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013
Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=OFF

There should be no assertions triggered in your build at all. Certainly no crashes.

Can you post a screenshot?

This info is in the bug

ASSERT INFO:
…/src/common/sizer.cpp(1961): assert “!IsRowGrowable( idx )” failed in AddGrowableRow(): AddGrowableRow() called for growable row

BACKTRACE:
[1] wxFlexGridSizer::AddGrowableRow(unsigned long, int)
[2] wxDialog::Show(bool)
[3] wxDialog::ShowModal()
[4] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatchesId(wxEventTableEntryBase const&, wxEvtHandler*, wxEvent&)
[5] wxEventHashTable::HandleEvent(wxEvent&, wxEvtHandler*)
[6] wxEvtHandler::TryHereOnly(wxEvent&)
[7] wxEvtHandler::DoTryChain(wxEvent&)
[8] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent&)
[9] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatchesId(wxEventTableEntryBase const&, wxEvtHandler*, wxEvent&)
[10] wxEventHashTable::HandleEvent(wxEvent&, wxEvtHandler*)
[11] wxEvtHandler::TryHereOnly(wxEvent&)
[12] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventLocally(wxEvent&)
[13] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent&)
[14] wxScrollHelperEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent&)
[15] wxEvtHandler::SafelyProcessEvent(wxEvent&)
[16] g_closure_invoke
[17] g_signal_emit_valist
[18] g_signal_emit
[19] gtk_window_propagate_key_event
[20] g_closure_invoke
[21] g_signal_emit_valist
[22] g_signal_emit
[23] gtk_propagate_event
[24] gtk_main_do_event
[25] g_main_context_dispatch
[26] g_main_loop_run
[27] gtk_main
[28] wxGUIEventLoop::DoRun()
[29] wxEventLoopBase::Run()
[30] wxAppConsoleBase::MainLoop()
[31] wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**)
[32] __libc_start_main
[33] _start

I think this is better handled via the bugtracker I found a bug. What now?

Yeah the bug was already found and fixed i’ve posted this info in it, i’m wondering if there’s something else I can do in the mean time to wait for the release of 5.1 (why its not in 5.0.1 i dunno but that’s what I noticed form the commit) and I can’t compile myself due to some package issues. I could build a vm to build this but again I don’t have the time.

in such cases always link the bugreport here

Yeah I forgot to in the first post, that’s why I added it in the one a few mins ago.

Here’s some information: SOLVED: Compiling V5 RCs on Debian. Note especially the apt build-dep command. It will make your life much easier. You already must have the correct repositories because KiCad has been installed, just add the source repos. It’s even easier than it was back then because now you have everything packaged. After “make install” you may have to remember to run ldconfig as root.

Yeah that’s what I tried earlier. I can look at it again when I get time.

As far as I can tell, this bug does not exist in 5.0.1. At least, I cannot trigger it when running in debug mode (where the assertions are expected) under Debian Stretch.

addendum: As this is also a packaging problem, I filed a report with the Debian maintainers at https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=909282 You can subscribe to that bug report if you’d like to be notified when they fix it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.