Temporarily remove 3D model from viewer?

Running v5.1.10 and would like to know if there is a way to temporarily remove/disable the 3D model when viewing the PCB with the 3D viewer?

I want to view the tracks under the component and the only way I’ve found to do this is to delete the mdel under foorprint properties / 3D settings. But then you need to browse to the model to add it back again which is painful if you want to view under lots of components.

Would be nice if the preview tick box was linked to the 3D viewer. Unless I’m missing something

KiCad version:

Application: Pcbnew
Version: 5.1.10-88a1d61d58~88~ubuntu20.04.1, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
    Boost: 1.71.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.68.0
    Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

In the 3D viewer there is a properties dialog:
2021-06-24 16_36_19-3D Display Options
You want the lower-left corner, 3D model visibility:

Here is an example board with all 3 selected:

And the same board with the through hole models turned off in the properties dialog (this board only has THT footprints):

These settings is what you should want as long as you don’t want to turn on/off 3D models on individual footprints.

FWIW, I’m using KiCad 5.1.10 on Win64, but these options should be on the other platforms.

Perfect. Thanks very much. Just what I was looking for.

Found a small bug as well :slight_smile:

The text titles are not the same but if you resize the window (bigger or smaller by even 1mm then the screen changes and they display correctly)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.