Teardrops - multi-pad and complex pads

Hi,

KiCAD 8.0.5

I am coming across a couple of issues with using the teardrops feature.

I have a footprint that uses multi same numbered pads. Since it has multiple pads then traces can connect to the numerous connection points of each pad.

However, when enabling teardrops, the teardrop for each trace gets drawn, but there is an additional internal teardrop between the points - for example:

What is this, and how can this be disabled?

Secondly, if I convert the multiple same numbered pads into a single complex/custom pad, then teardrops does not work at all for any trace going to the single complex/custom pad.

Will teardrops for complex/custom pads be supported in the future?

Cheers!

There are not very many people who use teardrops, and your usage is also a bit unusual. KiCad developers are also spending most of their (KiCad) time on developing (which is what they do best), and not on debugging (with which any active user can participate in) Combine those factors, and it’s quite likely that bugs like this go undiscovered for a while.

So now you have an excellent opportunity for helping with KiCad development by reporting this on gitlab.

2 Likes

Oh, I thought this was such a place I could discuss and report such issues/bugs to the developers and community of KiCAD.

I will raise it on Gitlab then.

Cheers!

All of KiCad’s GUI program have a button for reporting bugs, that directly opens a gitlab topic. But you do need a gitlab account, and search a bit to see if your issue has already been reported.

what version of kicad are you using? that doesn’t look like how v8 creates teardrops

I am using KiCad V8.0.5 but I doubt that question was directed at me.

But you do get via’s very similar to that if you turn off the curved edges of the via’s.
PCB Editor / Edit / Edit Teardrops

sorry it wasn’t :frowning: it was for the OP.
Bascially the OP post teardrops doesn’t look like what the built-in would do (v7 or v8). Not even the curved one

Hi @Naib

As stated in the first post, I’m using KiCAD 8.0.5.