Teardrops - disable on some pads

I use teardrops. But I don’t want them on some pads. Specifically, in this case, I don’t want teardrops on the GND pad of the QFN case where the yellow arrows point. Is it possible to specify this somehow in the rules or properties of the pad?

There’s no control over individual items. At least in v7.99 it’s not even possible to use keepout areas. A place for an issue report?

But in your case you should see if this choice is unchecked:

Interestingly you have a zone or rule area outline outside the thermal pad. Which one is it? Based on my experiments it should be possible to use a GND zone there which has such clearances that it doesn’t fill, but it prevents GND teardrops with that dialog option unchecked. A hack, but maybe acceptable.

Teardrops are zones which you can delete individually if you zoom in and select the outline edge.

1 Like

Maybe @JeffYoung could help here. You fixed Keep Out Copper Fill rule areas interact with teardrops (#13264) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab by handling teardrops as tracks, or that’s what the commit message says. It don’t see it having effect. At least it seems to be impossible to prevent adding and filling teardrops now with a rule area.

Here’s a simple example project.

teardrop.zip (8.9 KB)

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help! I have version 7.0.3. Over pad GND I have Rule Area - Keep out copper fill. I don’t want copper right there. But good advice from you is that teardrops can be deleted manually. I didn’t think of that. Thanks!

It would be good to add a “Keep out teardrops” checkbox to the Rule Area Properties :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I had the “Place teardrops on pads in zones” checkbox turned on. When I unchecked it, there are no more teardrops. Thanks for advice!!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.