System variables and Windows nightly installer change

Right, which is to be expected isn’t it ?

IMO it’s expected that it warns about overwriting an existing installation. But there are many combinations. For example should the warning about re-installing exactly the same x.y.z version, overwriting same x.y version with a new x.y.z version and overwriting with a newer x.y version be different? Or should it have one message, always mentioning the old and new version strings?

This begs a more fundamental question. How will installs be handled in the future.

The current nightlies are enumerated as 5.99 so are now installed in …/kicad/5.99.

When 6.0 is released I’m guessing it will go into …/kicad/6.0. Will 6.0.1 go into …/kicad/6.0.1 or also into …/kicad/6.0 ?

How many folders are there going to be in the install directory, and how many application icons am I going to have, launching all these different versions ? I know I could just uninstall unwanted versions, but to do that every time a minor version update is released could get a bit boring.

Maybe I’m overthinking it :slight_smile:

it will go in 6.0 – our policy is that point releases like 6.0.1 should have compatible settings, etc and can overwrite the previous point release

6.1 then gets its own folder ? as it’s considered a major enough change ?

If we released a 6.1, then yes it would. It is more likely from the current plans that we will go from 6.0 to 7.0 (with 6.0.x bugfix releases)

OK, thanks for the explanation.