Symbol's values are not being copied

When I copy/paste parts, they don’t have the value set anymore.

I also observed that, after updating one of the symbols of my schematic. The values of that specific symbol started to be copied/pasted properly as expected.

My design was started some time ago with Kicad 5.

Does this have any related issues?
Should I do something like update manually the symbols to make them work with Kicad 6?

Update: This is weird. Even if I update all symbols, the only one that is being fixed is the one that I select to do this update process.

This is the version I am using

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor

Version: 6.0.5-a6ca702e91~116~ubuntu22.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.0.5
	libcurl/7.81.0 OpenSSL/3.0.2 zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.4.8 libidn2/2.3.2 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.2) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.5.11

Platform: Linux 5.15.0-30-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, x11

Build Info:
	Date: May  3 2022 08:42:29
	wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.5.2
	Curl: 7.83.0
	ngspice: 36
	Compiler: GCC 11.2.0 with C++ ABI 1016

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

I am also seeing this on my terminal. Not sure it is related but I did not understand what it means.

➜  main-board git:(main) ✗ kicad board.kicad_pro 
[52801:52801:0518/200258.433897:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(377)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[52801:52801:0518/200258.681113:ERROR:shared_context_state.cc(75)] Skia shader compilation error
------------------------

Errors:
link failed but did not provide an info log
[52801:52801:0518/200259.898017:ERROR:shared_context_state.cc(75)] Skia shader compilation error
------------------------

Errors:
[52801:52801:0518/200259.899318:ERROR:shared_context_state.cc(75)] Skia shader compilation error
------------------------

Errors:
[52801:52801:0518/200259.905102:ERROR:shared_context_state.cc(75)] Skia shader compilation error
------------------------

Errors:
[52801:52801:0518/200259.907651:ERROR:shared_context_state.cc(75)] Skia shader compilation error
------------------------

I also had a schematic recently in which a copy of a symbol lost it’s value.
I think It’s a bug, but I could not reliably trigger it, and then I got distracted before making a bug report on gitlab.

I am still working on this project. I will check if I can make a small version of it that I can share to make a proper report.

I had similar issue. To me it appeared on version 6.0.3 and got partially solved on 6.0.5.

If i am trying to copy something from project created in version older then 6.0.5 from hierarchical sheet it loses value and footprint.
Solution is simple, but not perfect. Old project must be saved in 6.0.5 first to convert to new format and after that all parameters are copied without an issue.

I’ve also find simmilar issue discusion on gitlab but is closed already:

2 Likes

strange, for me only values are missing, other parameters are still there. And values are being replaced with ~

I’m seeing similar issues on Kicad 6.0.4 (Arch Linux). I’ve not seen this after updating to 6.0.5 yet …

After a bit of experimentation I was still able to reproduce this in KiCad V6.0.5, so I opened a new issue for it on Gitlab (and linked to the older #11116.)

I’ve also posted a test project on gitlab and steps to reproduce it.
It would be nice to have some confirmation if others can reproduce it with that test project.
You have to do it with a fresh copy of the project. If the project is opened and saved in KiCad V6.0.5 the error can not be triggered anymore.

1 Like

I can’t trigger the issue on your project, 6.0.5/Win64 in my case.

Perhaps related, perhaps not…

Brief background:
Last week I upgraded Mac’s OSX to Monterey.

After thinking all was well, I upgraded Kicad to 6.0.4 and had problems with the Paths/etc.

When digging into it, I discovered OSX Monterey had many bugs and completely duplicated my HardDrive and buried the copy in a Hidden folder.

I clicked the OSX Software Update and message said I was up-to-date, no updates available.

But, using CleanMyMacX shows an update is available taking Monterey from 12.3.xxx to 12.4.0 (weird!) I updated Monterey to discover hand-fulls of Bug’s were fixed and many previously broken things (launching apps, Links…) got fixed.

So, I cleaned out the Paths I setup in Kicad and manually reset them.

Now, to the point (re this post): I discovered Kicad was duplicating some of my paths and adding “/6/” in the path strings even though my paths have nothing to do with “/6/”.

I fixed most of them BUT, my Templates Dir still gets changed back to adding “/6/”. I was able to stop this by changing the Path in the User Templates panel where the link shows up.

@ Fred:
Just to be sure I downloaded the project from gitlab and I was able to reprocuce it again by following my own instructions on my linux box. Did you first open the “common.pro”, went to the schematic and then open the hierarchical “power.sch” sheet?

@ BlackCoffee…
I do not see why a path related issue on that brand computer would be related to a copy/paste operation in the Schematic Editor on my Linux Box. That Fruit brand of computer does all kind of completely bonkers things with copying directories and other weird things with file permissions that lead to headaches for apparently the single person working on apple related issues for KiCad.
Both the “Value” field and the Footprint link are just text strings during the copy & paste operation. No operating system functions should be involved.

Bonkers, for sure! Permissions went south and Administrator/User can no longer change permissions on many folders/etc. Mr. Jobs, it’s my computer and I want permission to the HardDrive. I remember you from college and I didn’t like you then, and, still don’t!

I followed your steps from Gitlab, and yes - opened the common.pro, launched schematic editor, cancelled the rescue, opened the power.sch part and copy/pasted C103 that kept all it’s original properties.
So it may be Lin/Win thingy.

First, thanks for confirming.

But I would not be too certain about:

Can you post your full version info on gitlab?
Or else post it here and I will add it to gitlab.

Just added to Gitlab. Followed all the steps again, from scratch (new unzip). Same effect, all these fields preserved at copy.

Thank you for good info. Main problem isn’t/wasn’t Kicad and you don’t quite understand the problem - because I didn’t post a fully detailed description (and, I was an Apple Developer for a few years).

So, to summarize: Monterey put some of my App’s in the App’s Dir but made them ‘Alias’ and it put some in a Hidden App’s Dir and made some Alias while putting the real App in App’s folder. I mixture of them both.

Not all Monterey users are without Permission problems… google it

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.