Symbol without content

This is very weird… I define a schematic component called logo with no pins. It’s just the name with assigned logo layout.

After is placed in the schematic it’s seen by the schematic as text and it’s property cannot be edited from schematic… I’m not sure if this should be the right behavior…
I’m wondering how such component with no graphic can be selected to change its properties (on the ctrl right menu there is nothing to lead to the part)… or to have graphic is mandatory to enable that?

here is in schematic:

So, looks more than a missing feature than a bug anyway…
As the component cannot be selected, it cannot be copy from a schematic to another…

Thanks,
Andrei

I have split the post from a unrelated topic.

So, looks more than a missing feature than a bug anyway…

I don’t think this is a missing feature. The need for a completely empty symbol is very … very small. For a simple “Logo”-symbol (which is then assigned a simple symbol on the pcb) look at library “Graphic”. This is part of the kicad standard installation. Each of the symbols in that library contain at least some graphic elements.

As the component cannot be selected, it cannot be copy from a schematic to another…

This is not true, your “empty” symbol can be selected by different ways:

• use box-selection and draw a box which includes reference string (“lgo”) and value-string (“LOGO”) at the same time. Press “E” to get symbol properties dialog → this shows that you have selected the whole symbol
  • use the cross-selection feature and select the assigned logo-graphic in the pcb-window. Switch back to the schematic-editor → now the complete symbol is selected.

The upcoming v8 version (wait 3 months) will offer two more ways to select that empty symbol (using the symbol fields table and using the search panel).

complete advice tested with kicad v7.0.9-rc2

If you upload a small project with your logo symbol, then others can test and feel for themselves what the problems are. But the usual remedy / workaround is to just add some graphics to your schematic symbol. mf_ibfeew already mentioned the “graphic” library. In a similar fashion there is also the “Mechanical” library with objects such as a fiducial, heatsink and mountingholes.

I guess there can be some problems when a symbol has no graphics. For example if the symbol gets moved on the schematic, you can not see whether the whole symbol, or only a text string is selected and this could open up some interference between your symbol and other things. Having some graphic attached also makes it easier for others to recognize your logo as a schematic symbol instead of just a (remark) text string.

the part with no graphic even cannot be copy between schematics. I’ll add graphic…

Thanks,
Andrei

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.