Symbol selection rotations ends up off grid in 7.0

Hello, I’m trying to rotate a group of pins and KiCAD is doing something weird. I’m still new to it, so I’m hoping that it’s some hidden/obscure setting I’ve missed.

• In the first action, I select the pins, and hit “M” to move. Is there a way to prevent it from moving my mouse and to have it start the selection move from where cursor was?
  • In the rotate command, it executes it relative to the bounding box of the selection. Is there a way to get KiCAD to execute the rotation from the grid snap of my cursor?

screencap

on a different note, I have no idea why symbols and schematics aren’t in a neutral (non-inch, non-mm) system with pins mandated to be on discrete coordinates, with a printing scalar (i.e. 1SchematicUnit = 0.1")

First question: Yes. Preferences / Common / Editing (top right) / Warp Mouse to Origin of Moved Object… un-tick.

Second question: Not to my knowledge.

Different note remark: “50mil” is probably easier to pronounce than “One schematic unit”. It is also easier to type :slightly_smiling_face:

I think this would offend the Metric users. :upside_down_face:

Thanks, I missed that setting and now I’m a much happier camper.

on the different note, the only imperial unit I’m ok with is the Pint! mills can go to hell for all I care. It’s just that the part where pins can go on some fractional grid coord is something that has caused me tons of grief in the past. e.g. newbie makes a non standard symbol with pins off the snap grid; when wiring, tool like Altium or Virtuoso snaps to nearest grid point making it look like there is a connection, but not really; only way to catch error is through a thorough sim which rarely happens, a super good (and rare) layout person, or having an engineer do their own layout and spot the error in layout. nice thing about having an agnostic unit is that everyone can be happy with a print scale factor

I’ve run into the same problem. Here’s a work-around. Draw a box around the parts to be rotated (I used the silkscreen layer, but I don’t think it matters), making sure it’s corners are on-grid. Select the box along with the components to be rotated and rotate them all together. If it still ends up off-grid, hit undo and move one side of the box by one grid unit and try again.

Hello and welcome.

No need for all this effort.

Highlight the part or group.
Right Mouse Click.
Select “Align Elements to Grid”… 4th function from top of pop-down selection list.
Can be any number of wires and/or symbols, one to a page full. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oops! While the OP was talking about schematic capture, I had layout stuck in my head. The workaround I posted was for layout where there’s no “align to grid” option (that I know of).

I don’t know your age, but when I make mistakes like that, I pass them off as having a “senior” moment. :rofl:

1 Like

Hah! Yep, getting to that age.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.