Symbol Paths after V7->V8 update

After update with Ubuntu from V7 to V8 the new version starts perfect and old projects open without complaints. Using V7 I created some custom symbol partitions what still live at /home/jv/job/kilib and pinned them on top of the choose symbol selection tree dialog as they were frequently in use.

As far as I understand, Kicad supplied symbols are in /usr/share/kicad/… what I used but never modified to allow new updates from our always busy Kicad librarians. First moment I was not able access my own libraries with the “Place-AddSymbol” as schematic editor cannot find the correct search paths.

Search paths after update are attached. The name MY_KICAD6_LIB was my own invention what I copied from other Kicad paths but probably its not a good idea to use version number in path name as the versions frequently updates every year.

Using “Configure Paths” I introduced a new Enviroment Variable MY_KICAD_LIB with /home/jv/kilib but I am not able to delete the old MY_KICAD6_LIB using the bin icon.

With Preference->ManageSymbolLibs->AddExistingLib2Table I am able to access the own library again. The ${MY_KICAD6_LIB} is selected again and I cannot avoid or delete this and it seems annoying to add each available kicad_sym file in the directory individual. Any hints to improve this ?

As I have never used any Environment Variable in KiCad I’m not sure if what I write will be helpful or not.
At far beginning I developed my KiCad files structure and assumed that I will never change it. So I have inserted my libraries (symbol and footprints) into global library list with their full path without any ${…} in them.
At any version change (4->5, 5->6, 6->7) I didn’t had to make any corrections in library lists.
But I have only my own libraries in the list. I don’t know what if I would have a mix of my libraries and KiCad libraries. If there were two global libraries lists it could be simple but there aren’t.
To tell you the truth I use 3 KiCad configurations by changing …Roaming… kicad directory names before running KiCad.
I have:

• my configuration,
  • default configuration,
  • spice configuration.

Default I use when I want to report a bug.
Hope it can be helpful in any way.