Symbol Libraries_If you Show me Yours, I will Show you Mine

HAH! Here is mine:
01_Devices.dcm (6.4 KB) 01_Devices.lib (55.1 KB)

I’m getting ready to finalize my own Library Conventions.

I do not use a ton of different parts, so prefixing the parts with a Ref Des makes sense at the moment:

The library is a WORK IN PROGRESS at the moment; I am subject to change my mind at any given moment.

The goal is to have all my current projects without any of the prior version quirks as I make the transistion to V6.

All critisizm is especially welcome.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Bobs Symbol Libraries 5.99.zip (44.5 KB)

OK…I will bite. Mine are also a work in progress and they always will be. Also I am including only my newer 5.99 libraries as I have been using various 5.99 versions for some time now.

Also…I think that almost all of my footprint references are my own footprints which are not included here.

Also…looking at your listing; I think that the comparison of your list and one of mine would be like comparing a potato with a wingnut. Feel free to take either one as yours and assign the other to me. :slight_smile:

Unless you have something like a bunch of large transformers, even 800 kG of different parts would be quite a few. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t really show you mine, as most of the stuff I’ve done is sprinkeled around in different project specific libraries, and I do not have a real convention.

Personally I would not write image First I have a dislike for for strange symbols, as they cost more time to enter (I would not even know where to find them on my keyboard), so I would just use “u” for micro, which is a pretty common convention. I also prefer to not add the F, because you already know it’s a capacitor, and I prefer to write values with at least one significant digit in front of the dot. So for me the final result would be 100n

I also never use dots in values. A two-point-seven-kilo-ohm resistor would just be 2k7

1 Like

Depends on the language: in German (and latterly French) it’s a simple key combination.

Why would I spend a yota of my time moving two fingers when one suffices?
That’s twice the amount of effort needed.

And language and other things complicate the matter more.
I’ve used different computer types and operating systems on my computers, and I have no interest of re-learning the different input methods each time.

Besides my personal opinion, it is in conflict with the KLC.

KLC is well thought out, and the aliens on the back side of the moon do not have your fancy French keyboard to type in library names.

I do not use a strict adherence to the KLC for personal stuff, but do use as a rough guide because the rules in there make sense.

1 Like

Hey, it was just an explanation why some people use µ (or § and ° for that matter) naturally. And while I appreciate KiCad’s French heritage, I don’t use any French or German keyboards.

I have nothing against the French, or their keyboards and no offense was implied.
I have fond memories of holidays in France.

I like Open Source stuff a lot, and when you set up the KLC for world wide use or want to spread your own libraries it makes sense to keep to the minimal common factor for common stuff such as library file names and part names in libraries.

1 Like

Don’t need fancy French keyboards for µ.

Good old English UK on your MInt with RH Alt + m will get you there.
You know UK English… they are the same people that gave you the glorious IMPERIAL system, that system you love, that wonderfully easy system to follow: eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk :grinning:

Go try to figure out what size of drill to use in the US.

They have “fractional inches” (such as 3/4), decimal inches “0.3”, and on top of that they also have some kind of weird numbering system, and I don’t even want to know whether “drill 23” is thicker or thinner then “drill 28”.

Did you know that a “tenth” is smaller then a “thou” (Which is also called a “mil”, but only if you’re in another branch of engineering?

And resistance seems to be growing (albeit very slowly) so US engineers also have a set of metric drills.

LOL!

What I did is certainly not KiCad conventional. I sent a file to a friend of mine and asked him to add relay, and he was like, “Okay, the relay is under “r” and not “k”, I see”. After that I made the relay start with “k” and things sorted worked out from there.

I never said it was a good idea, or if something can be done that it should be done. But, I will say that when using Eeschema, hitting the “a” key followed by the first letter of the RefDes really filters well.

The projects that I create tend to work well with generic parts; for example, just the resistor symbol and no value or footprint assignment. The ICs are a different story altogether, these I may want in a SMD package to not clog up the back side of the board with through holes, and I already know what type of part it will be.

@BobZ Thank you for the feedback and symbol file.

My very favorite is English Metric Threads… Called British Association or B.A. or colloquially…Bloody Awful.
English Metric preceded European (French) metric but, unsurprisingly, Europe just didn’t want to know BA.

Filling in the description and keywords helps with finding parts later:

Does a search for “relay” in the left top corner find your relay too?

2 Likes

Serious question: Do you use something like 0R33 for 0.33Ω or just 330m?

Main reason for the post was to find things that I might want to change. The word “Relay” was added to the keywords for the SSR (Solid State Relay):

And now it is findable in search:

In my case it would be R33.
No need for 0 prefix.
R33 =.33, 3R3 =3.3, 33R = 33, 330R =330, 3K3 =3300, 3M3 = 3300000

Easy to miss decimal points, impossible to miss capital letters.

2 Likes

All of 0R33, R33 and 330m work for me, but if you mix them you’re inconsistent and that also has disadvantages. There are also too many people who can not distinguish between 330m and 330M, and both are valid resistors, even though they’re 9 orders of magnitude apart. A capital M is rarely used for milli, but quite a lot of people can’t find the shift key and use “m” for Mega. I blame it on the guy who invented the SI prefixes, but he’s long gone.

I think there were some very old habits of using “M” for micro in capacitors, but that was ages before my own creation and you’d better ask Mr Carlsson about such things.

2 Likes

MFD (I have also seen mmF) for µF was quite common at some point, and I think nF was introduced much later in the US.

I do not use values in my symbol libraries. I look up my table of E96 or E24 values (or whatever) and enter the value in engineering notation when I place the symbol. So a 100 nF capacitor is 100e-9. The advantage of this is that Excel recognizes it as a number. My bags of parts in the lab are sorted by value, so this then allows me to sort my BOM by value and I can avoid going back and forth between bags of components when assembling. Of course I need to pay attention to ceramic capacitor dielectric but given a capacitor value I would usually keep only 1 or two options, such as X7R or NP0 for 4.7 nF = 4.7e-9. When buying new resistors I mainly stick to 1% but I have a pretty complete stash of 5% which I use when I need to something (that I don’t have or want to buy) in 1%. Also for resistor values > 0.99 ohm I use 0603 and 1206. I do have some 0402 but hate to use them; they are limited to customer designs which have that on their board.

My convention can be seen from the following:
My symbol libraries:

With C library extended:

My Footprint libraries:

I have R,R1,R2,R3 libraries to allow short value (1k) at schematic for different size resistors.

1 Like

My understanding is that mmF was an old stand-in for pF. I think I have also seen large electrolytics rated at thousands of microfarads (instead of millifarads). What about milli-hectofarads or pico megafarads?