Symbol in eeschema but not in PCB?

I am busy creating my first PCB (a MIDI in/out/thru circuit). I am intending to use for both the MCU side (RX/TX) and the MIDI parts (MIDI In, MIDI Out, MIDI Thru) a different screw terminal. So there will be 4 screw terminals:

• MCU: VCC, GND, RX, TX
  • MIDI In: GND, Chassis/GND, Signal In, Signal Out
  • MIDI Thru: GND, VCC, Signal
  • MIDI Out: GND, VCC, Signal

For the last 3 (the MIDI screw terminals), I need to connect them with panel mount MIDI connectors. However, I would like in the schema to add the MIDI connectors (DIN5) to know how to connect them (and have everything in one diagram). However, I do not want these DIN5 connectors on the PCB. Is there a possibility to do this?

pcbnew ignores a component if its reference starts with a # sign in the schematics.

2 Likes

@Efcis: Thanks! (Again)

Yes. Use a DIN5 connector symbol on the schematic. Assign the appropriate terminal block footprint to those symbols in the schematic. Maybe make a text note on the schematic for documentation sake that the PCB will have terminal blocks and how to wire them to the panel mount DIN5 connector. As long as the schematic symbol has the same pin count as the footprint, KiCad doesn’t care if they realistically match.

I now used both in the schematics, I connected the wiring to the terminal block, and I added the DIN5 connector for ‘documentation’ which seems to work well (with the # prefix for the reference name).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.