Symbol error: NTPF082N65S3F, pins 2 and 3 swapped

The particular FET symbol is pinned incorrectly. Beware! I hope someone with rights will fix it.

Cheers

Dunno where you found that part, itā€™s not in my symbol library.
A Google search suggests that itā€™s either totally obsolete or non-existent.

It is a TO220F cased power mosfet. Duck duck go brings up an ā€œONā€ data sheet.

The OPs title and comment are incorrect because Kicad Libraries do not list that individual transistor.
The libraries also supply generic symbols and footprints for the user to name, mix and match for non listed transistors:slightly_smiling_face:

@Tonehack

If you found the problem on a schematic created with Kicad, the creator has made a mistake in assigning the symbol or footprint from the generic libraries. If you found the problem on a manufacturers data sheet, well, it wouldnā€™t be the first time this has happened.

Well actually they do contain a handful of entries of popular models. But they are not needed, you can take a generic transistor symbol and change the value field.

Thanks, @retiredfeline
Iā€™d better open my eyes next time I check for library content.

Iā€™ve edited my above post.

My concern was about the symbol - not the mfr datasheet. I looked again and found that it came from another set of incorrect symbols in the library called, ā€˜Transistor_FETā€™, and those symbols start with IPT0xxxxxx. I wanted to at least warn other users about these parts. The library surely has other errors and, as per comments above, it is a good practice to start with a basic symbol and populate the rest. But this begs the question: what is the point of a widely distributed library with errors? I am new to this software (spent decades using OrCad/PADs with company-vetted libraries) and want to contribute to cleaning up errors if I can.

Thanks for the replies

All 3 IPT0xxxxxx variants released with the official libraries look OK to me.

NTPF082N65S3F is not there, and never was as git log -S shows.

1 Like

I donā€™t know anymore ā€“ or any more now than before ā€“ what you are talking about. NTPF* you mentioned in the subject line isnā€™t in that library, and itā€™s totally different than IPT0*. Please point out the actual symbol which in your opinion is wrong, and give a screenshot showing where the problem can be seen, and give a link to a current datasheet.

Like the other two replies above mine, I canā€™t find any symbols matching NTPF* in my KiCad 7 library. So you have to figure out where yours comes from.

My apologies. I did find that there was another library in my system, ā€œTransistor_FET1ā€, and I have no idea where it came from. This one had the symbol, NTPF082N65S3F as well as the faulty IPT0 parts. I may be losing my marbles :confused:

I have removed this library.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.