Symbol Editor: how to rotate a component (symbol) from angles different than 90° and 45°

I have not clue but I want to be able to rotate the components I create, with an angle different from 90°
In the title I also specified different from 45° even if I have not clue if it’s possible to rotate by 45°

I checked in Preferences but I didn’t spot anything.

In title : Symbol Editor.
In category: Layout.
In text: component - is it symbol or footprint ?

I corrected the title. it’s symbol.

I don’t know of rotating other then 90° in symbol editor (KiCad V7).
But you edit symbol very rarely. You can draw there line at any angle.
If you want pins to be distributed from symbol in any direction you can set pin length =0 and use line.
Pin names and numbers probably have to be in 90°.

Well lines yes I rotate. But when already finished a component and I want to reuse it at an angle: it seems impossible.
I have to do it in SVG. But KiCAD is horrible with SVGs.

I think you probably have very exotic need.
Where from the need for not 90° angle at schematic?
If you try to map at schematic how then PCB (may be circular) will be done it is an error in my opinion.

I want these drawn exactly so. The Full rectifier: I did use the SVG but it was a pain in the **ss. the second I want to do it as it is shown in the figure below the screenshot.

1 Like

You can’t - use alternative symbols or draw diode straight, not at an angle.

For me it is really exotic need until you don’t create a schematic to make PCB but schematic for example to be used in book. But then it need not be done in PCB design program but in any graphic editor where you don’t have angle restrictions I think.
If this bridge is single part than you can draw symbol as you want, but if 4 separate diodes just place them vertically or horizontally.
All my schematics are single sheet so I prefer to have as small symbols as possible. My diode bridge symbol looks like this:

Bridge

Voltage multiplier with diodes being vertical is also readable of what is going on here and to make PCB is enough good. Once more: if it is not to make PCB then use for it graphic editor.

The bridge rectifier is easy.

All you need to draw is the five lines shown by the green arrow.
The rest is L to R & R to L area selection, Duplication, Rotation, X & Y Mirroring.

The voltage multiplier is a bit more difficult. Because the diodes are on 60 deg. you need to create two diodes by hand. To get them the same you will need to use the measuring tools in the select menu.

Once the two diodes are made, Duplicate.
The caps. are easy. Draw one and Duplicate.

It’s good practice in the symbol editor. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Exactly. It will be used for books (Magazine). It’s part of the library I’m making in KiCAD, that has all components resembling the ones were used into the italian magazine “Nuova Elettronica”.

There is the one that have made a library with Elektor (Elektuur) symbols , I have made one with the other magazine.

So, they have to be in the way I shown.

I was able at the end, by making them in SVG,. It was a pain in the …ss because KiCAD doesn’t support Z axis.

But I have made them as I wished:

and also

I hope the Z-axis will be introduced soon. because to have SVG without it, it’s like to have a designer that’s missing arms.

What is Z axis in context of drawing schematic?

The only thing I can think of is the schematic wire “hop over”. But I thought that idea was dismissed many times over many years…

If some of the scrolls of Pompeii turn out to have electronic schematic diagrams on them, that would be interesting. In its rolled up form, I suppose that would be a 3-D schematic which includes a Z axis.

This is the sort of crazy idea that I get when I am at my computer past my bed time…

The way I achieved 45 degree rotation of symbols is by using an alternate body style. So now a resistor symbol has 2 body styles - normal and rotated by 45 degrees. The rotated symbol is made so that the pins still snap to the 45 degree grid. Here’s some examples:

You can find these symbols in a newest release candidate for my library here:

If you want to replicate this yourself, you need to set the pin length to 0, because you can’t rotate pins by 45 degrees either.

1 Like

Yeah, duck-unders were better than hop-overs. :rofl:

When you use the SVG, you have layering. The top layer must be represented above of the bottom Layer.
It means: if the bottom layer is a black rectangle and the top layer contains a white line, it must be shown as a white line above a rectangle.

KiCAD manages the SVG but very partially (don’t know why).
Indeed it exports SVGs with layers, ant imports SVGs with layers, but it doesn’t apply ANY priority to the layers (Z-axis).