Symbol editor: commands push pin xxx

Whats the task/usecase for the commands “Push Pin Length / Push Pin Name Size / Push Pin Number Size” in the RMB-click context-menu for Pins (in symbol-editor)?

It pushes those properties to all other pins.

Just change the properties of a single pin, and then push that property and you’ll see what happens. This pushing has no visible effect if you do not change the property first, because then it is (very likely) already the same for all pins.

I had never seen it before, and it feels like a quite clunky method.
The Footprint Editor has a somewhat similar function, but it’s a lot more sophisticated. It is a 2 step process where you first set the pad properties from a pad to an imaginary “Default Pad”, and then you can make a selection of pads and have them copy the pad properties from that “Default Pad”. I assume this is some temporary / unfinished end of KiCad and that in due time the symbol and footprint editor will become more alike in this regard.

1 Like

This feature in 6.99:

from the developers thread seems to now have an addition which allows all the pins in a symbol to be edited at once.
This is much easier than using the demonstrated selection table if all the pins need the same edit.

@jmk : group editing still works for me with latest nightly. Be aware that the button “group selected” in the pin table dialog refers to the selection in this dialog, not the previously selected pins on the symbol-canvas. This is at first a little bit irritating.

The screenshot posted seems to be a modified version of that original feature.

No, the “push Pin length”-menu was already available in v6.0.x stable. But I catched these context-menu-entry only today and wondered about the function. I never missed these commands, they are only a subset of the tasks the pin table can solve.

@mf_ibfeew I’ve never seen it in the 6 stable before.
Must be new to 6.0.10?

It does seem to be an easier way to edit all, and only all, the pins in a symbol, rather than use the future group editing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.