Symbol and module library defaults

For v5, is there a way to automatically populate the description and options fields in the lib-tables when importing through the wizard that is currently undocumented? Some sort of library properties file in the .pretty folder (sort of like a unixy .rc file)? If so, can the library maintainers add it to the official github distros?

Or is this something for the wishlist for v6?

(Classified in Footprints because I can only figure out how to add 1 classification, and the 5.0RC2 doesn’t seem to have a wizard for sym-lib-table yet.)

The lib descriptions are in the fp-lib-table and the sym-lib-table files that are in the repective repos. So my suggestion would be to not use the lib wizard to add libs but to either copy the tables as a whole or to copy the parts you want from it into your users global table files.

I actually blew away all the descriptions for the stock libraries because I wanted my personal libraries at the top of the list and didn’t bother to use an external tool. The only way that was immediately obvious to me after adding my module libraries (they were put at the end) was to delete all the stock libraries and then re-import them. I’ll need to find the original and then I’ll cut and paste with a text editor…

But…

My imagined use-case for having a library properties file (for modules in the .pretty folder along side all the .kicad_mod files, similar for the .sweet folders once they exist) is for people who want to share their .pretty (or .sweet) library folder(s). When someone else inserts that library (either by the wizard or with the “Browse Libraries…” button) the author’s description (and potential license and/or attribution information) will be automatically added to the lib-table.

I wanted to find out from others who are more familiar with the nightlies if this feature already exists and just isn’t widely known about. Or, if I should submit a wishlist item for this.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.