Symbol and footprint of components

First, to answer your original question: the footprints for USB connectors are here. So there are several different Micro B USB receptacles there. You could choose one of those parts, if you didn’t want to create your own footprint.

There’s not necessarily any correlation between those two things. The KiCad library contains things which people felt like contributing to the KiCad library. These might be common or not-so-common. And certainly plenty of commonly available parts will not be in the KiCad library yet.

For that, you will probably want a barrel jack.

Like this one?

3 Likes

OK thanks. I wanted to know if there are ready made symbols and subsequently footprints for these two components I am planning to buy (in case any one has come across them earlier):

Oscillator

SPDT Switch (Part No: SS12D00G3 )

Thanks and Regards,
Arvind Gupta

PS. Which is the library for SPDT switches and oscillators. KiCAD library would have at least basic SPDTs and 4 pin oscillators defined (I could not find it though :stuck_out_tongue: ). That way I can get going with the schematic at least. If required, I can start a new discussion on this topic. – Thanks. AG.

look in my molex lib

both part/symbol and footprint

I checked the molex folder. It most probably has components related to barrel connector. I had already got the the symbol and footprint of barrel connector in KICAD library. I am looking for the symbol and footprint of the mini SPDT switch and 4 pin oscillator as per the links posted last time.

Thanks for your time,
Arvind Gupta

Ok

there are other libs i have apart from Molex

Abracon lib keep some oscillators and there are an SPDT somewhere also in there.

just need to guesstimate the Manufacturer lib

CK-Components:PTS530GG065SMTR

a small smd push-button

Thanks. The Oscillators are all SMD type in Abracon. The link shows a through pin device (I will be using these devices for the first time; so SMD may be difficult for me to solder) Also, I am looking for sliding SPDT components; not push buttons. Any other library you suppose I should check out pls. (I dont have the dimensions of these devices; otherwise would have made the components myself :slight_smile: ). Have written to the sellers on the site; they are looking for the drawings.

Regards,
Arvind Gupta

So you would simply trust somebody else that they made the footprint correct without any chance of checking them?

I avoid trough hole components as much as possible

not producible for volume, and typically takes up huge space, and mess up the secondary layer.

so i my libs are a bad source for trough hole

sorry

OK. I got the dimensions of the SPDT switch. I was trying to make its schematic symbol through quicklib website. I made the following symbol:

I wanted to know how to hide the text in blue (1, Pole, 2) I was able to hide the name of the component but not the remaining text.

Also, is there any similar website tool to make the corresponding footprint pls. :slight_smile: Quickink is a great site.

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta

In the symbol settings.
(top toolbar the button that looks like a gear)
untick the “shop pin name” selector.

By the way your symbol looks like some sort of resistor with a middle connection.

OK thanks. I will try that out. Well … that was what quicklib was offering… and I will take it as it requires lesser time and effort. Also, any similar sites for quickly making footprints of the switch ?

Regards,
Arvind Gupta

Why not use and learn the kicad internal tools?
The only skill required is to read a datasheet. Making footprints is a bit faster if you know how to use the user grid or array function to place your pads quite fast.

OK… I tried to search for the symbol settings in the Eeschema window (the one that looks like a gear wheel – the only gearwheel based icon I could find was Preferences --> Save preferences / load preferences). Pls. be more specific.

Thanks and Regards,
Arvind Gupta

Changing symbols is done in the symbol editor.

OK thanks… I was able to make the symbol and footprint of the SPDT in independent folders. Also could instantiate them separately in schematic and layout files. I wanted to know how to correlate the pins of symbol to the pads of the footprint so that when I use them in the schematic, assign footprint to schematic component, import netlist and read it in the pcb editor, I am able to see ratsnest wires symbolizing connections between the footprint of SPDT and other components’ footprints.

Regards,
Arvind Gupta

(PS: I forgot to add that I did not add .pretty in the footprint library name. Is it OK? How to I rename to set things in order otherwise?)

Look at the old post: Linking Pins to Pads

Simply re-name the folder, like you would re-name any other folder on your computer.

Dale

OK. I did the changes… named the pins and pads with the same corresponding number and renamed the footprint folder as footprint.pretty (I have 2 folders in one folder now: one named as ‘symbol’ and other as ‘footprint.pretty’). I also went to schematics -->Preferences --> Component Library and added the symbol. Next I went to layout --> Footprint Library Manager --> Append Library with wizard and appended the footprint.pretty folder as global library (with plugin type as KiCAD).Then I restarted the tool.
Next, I instantiated two SPDT switch instances and a diode. Saved the test schematic and tried to associate symbols with footprint. I got the following error:

When I closed the error, I got the following confirmation message:

If I selected ‘Yes’, none of my schematic components were displayed. If I selected ‘No’, my schematic components were displayed but the pcb footprint corresponding to the switch was not there in the list of the right side. Pls. see image.

What do I do to correct this problem? I was trying to check if the pins of symbol instantiated in schematic are getting properly associated with the correct pads of the footprint.

Thanking You,
Arvind Gupta.

It has been 22 days since you created this thread and you still can’t follow all the advice above to link a symbol to a footprint???

Your problem is likely that the footprint you think you want to use is not a compatible file with KiCad.

First, stop using outside web sources to create symbols and footprints.
Second, use the tools that come with KiCad.

On the top graphical menu bar in Cvpcb there are icons that select which filters to apply (one can hover the mouse pointer to find out about them).

Select the library on the left pane, then double click on footprint on the right pane. When every symbol has a footprint assigned, click save.

OK. That was the problem. I had made the symbol using quicklib (it was an easy way to do so – as mentioned in the ‘Getting started with KICAD’ manual) and footprint with KiCAD. When I remade the symbol using KiCAD, the problem went away. Since I make PCBs part time and presently I was not getting much time to do so, hence the delay.

Thanks All,
Arvind Gupta