Symbol and footprint biblotek has disappeared

My symbol and footprint libraries have disappeared and I have tried everything to find them again?

I hope someone can help me

Sincerely
Tonny

First of all, please go to help>about>copy version information. Paste that into your next post.

Can you find the files/folders using Windows explorer or other file utility?

My version is Kicad 7

Yes, I can find symbols - see picture

but i can’t change the path in manage symbol library

I am not the expert on this but I am pretty sure that someone else more knowledgeable will assist.

I infer that we are discussing standard KiCad libraries and not your custom libraries; am I correct?

What is your OS?

Did you (make the mistake of) saving custom symbols and footprints in the location for the standard libraries?

Do you know to click where my red arrow is located?

now I have spent about 5 hours to get my symbol library
back and now it worked… i am very happy

Thank you very much for wanting to help me

Sincerely
Tonny (Denmark)

2 Likes

I was about to post this and now see it solved.

I’m posting it for completeness as it reveals info not posted that may be useful to others…

Note 1: Users can increase Kicad’s speed of loading Footprints and symbols by setting their Active and Visibility states for the hundreds of symbols/footprint they most likely will never used. Can always reset them as needed…

Note 2: This shows my System (Mac) but it should provide Clue to other systems…

Hi blackCoffee

Thank you for what you sent. it gives a good understanding of
librarian

I am a new Kicad user and have a lot to learn :slight_smile: and I thought it is a very good program. Previously I have used ExpressPCB. Attached is a motor controller which can handle 40amp. (For a Go-cart to my daughter) Now I have drawn it in Kicad

Sincerely
Tonny (Denmark)

1 Like

Go Cart…

It was about 1957 that I bought a Go-Cart frame with wheels for $8.
After some monkeying around I was ready to be pushed down the street. But, my old man said wait.

He crawled under one of his junk cars and pulled out the 6volt generator.

After we bolted it into place on Go-Cart and did a few other things, he put a 12V battery in a box and tied it to the Go-Cart.

He drove a spike (20 penny Nail) into the Battery between the 3rd and 4th cells and hooked up jumper cables.

“Son, go as far as the battery will take you and stop. Un-Clamp this cable and re-clamp them like this and you’ll have enough Battery to get you home.”

15 years later, I had a 1949 Dodge Pickup with 6v battery. I bought a 12v radio, installed a 12v battery with a Spike to get 6v for the Dodge and 12v for the radio.

I couldn’t resist telling this story… you know a Generator = Motor…

1 Like

Your story tells me that your go-kart only had “on” and “off” and no speed controller … your father forgot you could get hurt :joy: without a speed controller. were there brakes on the go-kart? Hahaha

I think you must be the same age as me … i am 70 years :joy::joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Best Regard
Tonny ( Denmark)

1 Like

You write about your library but it looks that what you lost and get back is not your library but KiCad library.
The simplest way (that should work) to get everything back to default order (regarding KiCad library) is to delete KiCad configuration directory and run KiCad.
At Windows it is C:\Users\{User}\AppData\Roaming\kicad.