Symbol ALIASES - Can not find as described behaviour

Hi there.
In the LibEdit help dealing with creating symbols I found a section dealing with ALIASES. See below. But I can not figure out if that ALIASES are availble in 6.0.4 anymore. There is no tab saying Aliases as described in the help.
Regards, Harald

Symbol aliases

An alias is another name corresponding to the same symbol in the library. Symbols with similar pin-out and representation can then be represented by only one symbol, having several aliases (e.g. 7400 with alias 74LS00, 74HC00, 74LS37 ).

The use of aliases allows you to build complete libraries quickly. In addition these libraries, being much more compact, are easily loaded by KiCad.

To modify the list of aliases, you have to select the main editing window via the icon Symbol properties icon and select the alias folder.

That doc is out of date. Aliases have been replaced by inheritance. Here’s the developer announcement with explanatory screenshots. I didn’t look harder for up to date docs describing this, but this post should explain it.

Thanks for fast response. Is there anyone to forward that to open an issue to change this in the help docs?
Regards, Harald

Feel free to raise an issue on Gitlab. Oddly, inheritance is screenshotted in the docs for nightly.

This section actually has been rewritten for v6, but the updates are only in the “master”/“nightly”/“v6.99” docs and haven’t been pushed to the v6 docs. I recommend you look at the nightly version instead: Schematic Editor | master | English | Documentation | KiCad

At the moment pretty much everything written in the nightly version of the docs should be equally accurate for v6 (it’s either accurate for both versions or outdated for both versions).

2 Likes

Thanx a lot.
Regards, Harald

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.