Switch of Blurring of Pad Text in new OpenGL engine

Hi,

because of severe bugs in KiCAD 4.0.3 i switched to BZR7090 (brand new nightly built).

New all the text on the pads is slightly blurred (I work in OpenGL mode). This slowly drives me crazy. It seems that this is some kind of anti aliasing.

Do you know how to switch this off (to look like in stable KiCAD)?

Thx in advance.

1 Like

There is no way to switch it back. Please have a look at:

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg25955.html

1 Like

Ah yes, exactly what I noticed.
Thank you for at least pointing that out.

So it seems that I have the choice to switch back to KiCAD 4.0.4 when it is released or get used to the new font rendering :stuck_out_tongue:

If I read between-the-lines in the linked post, the effect may be more, or less, noticeable from one video card (or video driver) to another.

Anyhow, here’s what I see on an Asus EeeTop (Integrated CPU/Display desktop). Images captured with “Snipping Tool” and pasted together in “Paint”. Look at the numeral " 1 " identifying the pad. The pad is 75 mils (1.9 mm) square, so this is zoomed in quite a bit.

Dale

1 Like

That captured image seems to look better than the actual display did.

On my home machine - a Dell Studio XPS with Dell displays and Nvidia video, circa 2009 - the displayed image is fuzzier than on the Asus at work. But the home display is larger, so maybe the quality is about the same.

Dale

Sounds like they need higher resolution textures (for the bitmap font) when they go down that path?
Or on the fly bitmap generation from vector fonts if one zooms in…

I never noticed rendering taking a long time before, modern GPUs are very powerful

It shouldn’t be. It is a very basic graphic operation supported since the beginning of the ages, it is expected to look the same.
The only difference is the zoom / size of the font it is displaying.

They already are generating a good resolution, may it ca be increased even more…

From what I learned from the mailing list discussion, it is a great improvement on really huge PCBs.

I can confirm that. I have a powerful CPU but no dedicated graphic unit in my work setup and especially zooming is much smoother now.

That would be gorgeous. As neither VRAM (in case of dedicated CPU) nor RAM (in case of none) is rare anymore it should be no problem to store textures from 16x16 to 1024x1024 for every of the 127 ASCII chars.
As far as I know, there is already a function present in OpenGL which chooses the right texture from multiple possibilities.

Is someone present in dev lists and able to feedback that as community response?

If combined adaptive textures and texture based font, this should result in a very pleasing user experience.

As from my first post on this thread,
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg25955.html20
the dev list is aware, not only aware but the who develop it know hows it does look like :slight_smile:

Current texture size is 2048 * 2048
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror/master/common/gal/opengl/bitmap_font_img.c
as far as I know is not used only for ASCII chars.

I believe it would be better to continue this discussion if anyone want to join the develop list and contribute with improve KiCad :wink: Sending messages does not help to progress.

2 Likes

But I bet this texture is holding all of the chars - not one. I proposed 1024x1024 per char.

@tobias24 The current KiCAD development branch (and probably the night builds?) has a improved rendering engine for text on OpenGL mode.

1 Like

Cool, looks razor sharp.

Very convincing :wink: And some more chars to reach the necessary 20 …