Surface Book 2 connector PCB

Hey all I am trying to figure out a way to create this connector using Kicad. I know the dimensions of all of it but not sure how I would place those pads on the pcb?

The width of the original plug is:

Length = 42mm
Width = 17mm
Height = 8mm

None of that really matters I guess. But the connector itself is the important part.

The connector is:

Width (first pin to last pin) = 16.25mm
Length (top start of the protruding connector to the bottom) = 5mm
Hight (PCB thickness) = 2mm

Space between pads = 0.25mm
Pad size = 0.65mm
Pad length = 0.65mm
From the center of one pad to the center to the next = 0.65mm

High Res images of connector:
Close up #1
Close up #2

If anyone can help me on how I can do this then please let me know!

Hi @Stealthrt

Kicad is suitable for producing boards to which connectors can be attached.
Kicad is not suitable for producing connectors, especially of the molded, wedge shaped, plastic type.

Thanks for the reply, @jmk .

I was thinking more along the lines of the shape of the board and not so much its surroundings. I can 3D print a case around it, just needed to be able to create that shape with the PCB and have those pads there on it.

It’s certainly possible to make that layout on a PCB, but it would either make a terrible connector or cost quite a lot of money for a mediocre one. ENIG finish and beveled PCB edge is quite expensive, and it still wouldn’t be as robust as the OEM connector. Plain copper and no bevel will have a chance of breaking the contracts in whatever this plugs into, and the pads would wear out and get oxidized.

Your measurements are also clearly wrong in at least two places. That pad has at least 1:2 aspect ratio, so it cannot be 0.65mm both in width and height. The pad spacing centre to centre can’t be 0.65mm if the pad is 0.65mm wide, that would place the pads side by side attached together.

It has been some years, but when I worked at Microsoft I saw that that connector is magnetically retained to the Surface computer. I have never been sold on the advantages of that sort of connector. I guess the idea is that if someone trips on the cord (or absent mindedly walks away with the laptop) that the connector can unplug fairly easily. Too easily in my opinion.

Anyway my point is to consider the “magnetic attraction” however it is done. I think that if that feature is omitted, you will have a really bad laptop power connector.

I prefer the barrel connector which has been traditionally used by Dell and maybe other manufacturers.

I have magnetic bars to put into it for it to “cling” to the connector. And I plan on keeping it in there since i can unplug the USB-c power cable. I just wanted access to a usb without having that heavy block i have to lug around. I have no idea why Microsoft thought the short cord from the tablet to the block was long enough for anyone…

I’ve done these type of connectors many times (I was a connector designer…etc).

Kicad can’t do chamfered edges - chamfers are indicated on a Drawing (snippet example of one of my old ones indicating it…)

And, a 5-minute CAD model with cover, showing in Kicad…

1 Like

Would you share your project files of that connector?

The pinout if anyone is interested I found here and here:

Pin Signal Destination             Pin Signal Destination
1 +PWR PWR con/6, 7                2 +PWR PWR con/6, 7
3 HPD1B (Sense?) Pwr con /3        4 HPD2 ???
5 GND                              6 GND
7 DP ML_Lane0(p) MiniDP /3         8 USB D- USB/2
9 DP ML_Lane0(n) MiniDP /5        10 USB D+ USB/3
11 GND                            12 GND
13 DP ML_Lane1(p) MiniDP /9       14 NC
15 DP ML_Lane1(n) MiniDP /11      16 DP Hot Plug Det MiniDP /2
17 GND                            18 GND
19 DP ML_Lane2(p) MiniDP /15      20 DP ML_Lane3(n) MiniDP /12
21 DP ML_Lane2(n) MiniDP /17      22 DP ML_Lane3(p) MiniDP /10
23 GND                            24 GND
25 DP Config 1 MiniDP/4           26 USB Stda_SSRX- USB/5
27 NC                             28 USB Stda_SSRX+ USB/6
29 GND                            30 GND
31 DP AUX_CH(p) MiniDP /16        32 USB Stda_SSTX- USB/8
33 DP AUX_CH (n) MiniDP /18       34 USB Stda_SSTX+ USB/9
35 GND                            36 GND
37 HPD2 ???                       38 HPD1A (Sense?) Pwr con /5
39 +PWR PWR con/6, 7              40 +PWR PWR con/6, 7

DP ML_LaneX(p, n) are routed via differential drivers according application notes
As I assume, HPD1A, B are connected to +PWR via any resistor inside the SPro3. Do you know, are they joined by OR gate or are checked separately? What is a condition to Power ON? (when no SPro, the power is “hicking”). The HPD2, power connector pin 4, I did not found coming to the SPro connector. What is his function?

@Stealthrt If referring to my post, it is Not a real connector or PCB - rather, it is an Example of PCB with SMD pads. That is what you want to do: Make a PCB the shape/size/thickness/etc as desired. Add SMD Pads as needed.

That work is done in the Footprint Editor with follow-up work done in the PCB editor. Takes more time to post it than to actually make it… For the Footprint, just need the section where the Pads are. Then, in PCB Editor, add the Footprint and draw PCB Shape… Some learning experience will be useful (and, rewarding…)

None of this part is per your geometry but posted anyway… And, the Covering is a dumb (useless without real geometry/spec’s) 3D model done in FreeCAD. STEP model posted…

Edge-Card.kicad_mod (4.2 KB)
FlexBoot.step (811.8 KB)

Would you happen to know what the /XX means for each of those pins listed above? Do those pins get tied into the given pin(s)?

Example, pin 1 (power) ties together with pin 6 & 7?

Thanks for posting those!

To Clarify… Below shows the Footprint (as-is on Bottom) and the Edited Footprint (edited in PCB Editor) above…

When I go to edit it there are no red lines?

You are talking about removing the red outlines, right?

Yes, the Red Lines. BUT, that’s on my machine. You may have different Color set for the Edge_Cut layer.

To confirm my posted footprint is good (contain the Red lines), I downloaded it and show it below… all is good… I called the file Edge-Card_Confirm, as shown…

Actually, you don’t fully remove them because you need a PCB shape. So, just edit them to get the shape you want/need… And, can edit the other Lines for Silk and Dwg layers…

After placing it on a PCB, you can Double-Click it and select Edit Footprint or, Edit Library Footprint. I suggest using just ‘Edit Footprint’ to avoid messing with the Library footprint… Your choice…

ADDED: Oh, I forgot to cleanup/move the REF labels… you can do that…

Clarifying… You won’t need Edge_Cut lines in the Footprint after placing it on PCB. They are there in the Footprint Only as a Place-Holder until placing onto PCB.

An alternate approach without using Footprint is to draw the PCB Shape and place SMD PADs on the PCB. You’ll need to either make an SMD Pad footprint (good resource for your library) or dig one out from Kicad library…

Cheap thrilling, edge-of-your-seat video, below… (I did Not add the Cover to it…)

1 Like

Sorry I do not know any of that…

Thanks for that video @BlackCoffee . That was really helpful seeing it rather than reading how to do it :slight_smile:

All good. I’m trying to get the original poster to respond about if he/she can tell me what it means.

It’s just my luck that I find one already being made :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Amazon Link to the “SPD82”