Supplier could provide static component codes to be placed in Kicad's parts library

Hi, It would be interesting if the supplier staff could provide static component codes to be placed in Kicad’s parts library, as pre-suggested options.

These codes could be static, and perhaps components that would be applied could automatically select components that are promotional at the order date.

In this way there will always be stock of the component and avoids the customer having to waste a lot of time looking for parts.

A checkbox could be added in the project preferences to choose suppliers such as LCSC, Mouser, Digikey etc, and each supplier should provide the table in a pre-specified format by Kicad.

I think that the majority of KiCad users are outside the US, which means that order codes are different, even from the major suppliers with subsidiaries scattered around the world.

I used to be close to the component standards department in my Racal days and their main activity was updating house number cross references because the supplier part numbers kept changing.

I have been working on my own components database for months now, and I can assure you even though you might be able to imagine what the finished ‘product’ might look like, it’s not as simple as you might think. And even if it were simple, it’s a lot of work.

Yeah it called a primary key, your looking at transitioning over to database driven component libraries.

How about if KiCAD sticks to what it is, a design tool?
Ordering and inventory management are more in the field of eg, SAP (gaaah!).

Idk tbh. If new features don’t interfere with the rest I would not mind if Kicad can do slightly more.

I use Kicad to make d’em sketchy connection schematics with JPGs and such. It is not the best tool for this, but it does work.

I personally think that it would be a neat add-on to better create such schematics for manuals and such. How fewer SW tools I need how happier I am.

I also want to use PCB new to poop out 2D drawing for laser cutting service. Propably not ment for this either… but if it works… I won’t complain.

What I also miss, is that Kicad can transform any PCB into a 3d model. Usefull if you make something like an arduino shield. Now you need freecad for this iirc.

On topic:
I also make my own libaries for resistors and what not. I create symbols for 0603 and 0805 resistors for most used values. I add the vendor ID to the symbols.

So in schematic editor I can just add a R_0805_10k and I have the correct vendor ID code and footprint.

Regards,

Bas

Yeah the thing is though vendors keep changing the references and order codes under the hood. So somebody should be constantly updating the database.

also want to use PCB new to poop out 2D drawing for laser cutting service. Propably not ment for this either… but if it works… I won’t complain.

Yeah, i do this kind of stuff in notepad all day long (yeah i can write a PDF by hand). It works. Thing is though in the real world the value is in others using the tools for the same task which allows load sharing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.