Hi, I’ve been using KiCAD for last 6 weeks. It is a great software . Thank you very much. Here are some comments for each part of KiCAD that I think can help improve the software. What do you think?
Symbol Library Editor:
- You had a GREAT FANTASTIC idea of turning footprints into files. Also 3D models. Why didn’t you do that for symbols? Then managing them would be very easy. They would have been files in folders.
- When making a new Symbol, the pin table is not modifiable. But if it was I would change names and numbers and even add pins or remove some. Also maybe it could take the list of pins and names in the beginning and make the Symbol.
- in library editor, Why cannot pins be GNDs, is it because they are inputs?
- Can the current component be closed?
- When we move parts in Schema wires should move with them but pressing G is not enough and make a mess most of the time. In Labview you have an option that re-routs the wires automatically and makes it clean.
- A problem that I have is that when I press W I don’t want it to start wiring as if I have clicked the mouse. I want it to just go to Wiring mode and let me click wherever I want. I know this is about preference but there are tons of other softwares like this. I am really used to it.
- when we move the wire, the whole wire should retrace quickly rather than letting us move each node.
- Imagine you want to edit properties of a narrow object in footprint editor, such as a line. The problem is that it snaps to the object in the background and opens property editor for that object rather than for the line. Because the line is narrow, it is difficult to be exactly on top of it unless you zoom a lot. So I suggest that when the cursor is “close enough” to another object it asks which one we would like to edit.
- Please allow filling zones in footprint editor. For example in silkscreen layer or even copper layers.
- In footprint and in pcb editor I cannot select multiple objects and change their layer. This is particularly useful to send drawings to other layers.
- About the search method in association of parts with footprints, I need to search for a specific name, can I? I couldn’t easily find it even in KiCAD v5.
- when top copper and bottom copper are invisible, the vias will also be invisible. But its necessary to see if vias ruin the SilkScreen.
- Is it possible to keep the pads visible and hide traces?
- Objects that are on hidden layers can be selected. is that good? why?
in entire KiCAD
It’d be great to be able to press Ctrl+A when editing a TEXT object both in schematic and pcb editor.
In entire KiCAD, please make it possible to use CTRL+click for +Select and Alt+click for deselect a single object. similar to 3DS-MAX or even Wings plus “select invert”
I think its great if we could call symbol library manager and footprint library manager from main project window.
-Changing properties of multiple objects like in Altium Designer is most appreciated. There, those properties that are not similar are shown by … and those that are similar can be changed.