StepUp PCB import - error message and missing 3D models

Not sure if I should post this on the KiCAD or FreeCAD forum. I have an issue with the StepUp workbench which links the two programs together. Let me know if this report should better go to the FreeCAD forum instead.

When importing a board I’m getting the following error message:

... missing module(s)
... searching path:
/usr/share/kicad/modules/packages3d
/home/mp/pcb/repo/lib/packages3d

/home/mp/pcb/tee/stepuperror
... missing module(s) '.step' or '.stp' or .iges' or '.igs'
"${KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR}/Resistor_SMD.3dshapes/R_0603_1608Metric.wrl" (.stp or .step)
"${KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR}/Battery.3dshapes/BatteryHolder_Keystone_107_1x23mm.wrl" (.stp or .step)
"${KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR}/LED_SMD.3dshapes/LED_0603_1608Metric.wrl" (.stp or .step)

The 3D models are present since the Kicad 3D viewer displays them without issues:

However, the FreeCAD import lacks the 3D components:

I notice it reads ${KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR} although I’m using KiCAD7, not 6. I’m not sure where this variable comes from and if that has anything to do with the issue. It’s all stock components from the KiCAD library, so the paths should be correct. And KiCAD can obviously find the models, so the variable can indeed be resolved.

What’s the issue here?

KiCAD: Version: 7.0.10+1, release build
FreeCAD: 0.20.2
StepUp: 11.1.6

stepuperror.tar.xz (8.2 KB)

In red I see .wrl files, which render nicely in the 3d viewer, but are not STEP files for export

Both are present:

find /usr/share/kicad/3dmodels -type f -name 'R_0603_1608Metric*'
/usr/share/kicad/3dmodels/Resistor_SMD.3dshapes/R_0603_1608Metric.step
/usr/share/kicad/3dmodels/Resistor_SMD.3dshapes/R_0603_1608Metric.wrl

it seems you have a missing searching path on FC kSU preferences.
from the log messages:

… missing module(s)
… searching path:
/usr/share/kicad/modules/packages3d
/home/mp/pcb/repo/lib/packages3d

but your 3d models are in:

/usr/share/kicad/3dmodels/

2 Likes

Good catch. I changed the path and now it’s working. Not sure why, since I haven’t touched the path in a while. Maybe it changed in the KiCAD6 → KiCAD7 transition, dunno.

Thanks for the quick help!