StepUP "missing modules" error [solved]

Hello, I’m trying to troubleshoot an error with importing some of my 3D models using the FreeCAD workbench StepUP. It appears that the only models that aren’t importing correctly are ones that I sourced or made myself.

These models show up correctly in the 3D viewer of KiCad. I added these custom models in by using the footprint editor and aligning the footprints there in KiCad.

Notice that the center button and pogo pins are present in KiCad. I’m not sure why these aren’t being pulled into FreeCAD because my secondary search path is defined as the same file path that KiCad is getting the STEP files for the footprints. I currently only have STEP files there but I tried adding a vrml file for one of the components as well and this did not fix one of the errors.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you ahead of time!

You have to set the secondary 3D folder location in the StepUp settings.

my secondary search path is defined as the same file path that KiCad is getting the STEP files for the footprints.

So I did define it in the StepUP preferences to the same file path that KiCad uses for the 3D files however it still says that it can not find them.

Sorry, I didn’t read carefully enough.

Your dialog shows to paths: the KiCad’s own KISYS3DMOD and GITCHECKOUT. StepUp should find the first one automatically and the second one you should put in the secondary loc in the StepUp settings. Is that so? What is GITCHECKOUT in KiCad and in StepUp?

The missing models from KISYS3DMOD path are caused by KiCad having 3D model names in all of its official footprints even when there’s no corresponding model. So you have 4 missing models from your own libraries (in that screenshot).

eelik, no worries! I appreciate you taking the time to help.

That is correct. I have my secondary loc set to the folder where I am saving my self-made models

GITCHECKOUT is just the folder that the GitHub desktop app downloads all of my files from github to. I am working with a few people on the project and we regularly push and pull changes through github.
See below that my models are in fact in that folder.

(the Solidworks one are step files)

I guess I can try copying those models to a different folder and seeing if that changes anything.
I am really only concerned with the ones in my github folder. Those are critical to the mechanical design.

But which is your GITCHECKOUT value in kicad environment?
Is it the same assigned in StepUp or 3D_Models is not in the kicad variable value?

They are essentially the same file path. The one in KiCad is just using a variable so that it links to the correct place for all of the collaborators.

I think I verified that the variable being in the KiCad footprint properties is the issue.

I copied the model for the center button out of GitHub and into my documents folder. Then I modified the footprint (KiCad) to look at my documents folder. Next I set my secondary search path (in StepUP) to look at that same place (my documents folder) and then ran the StepUP tool again and it worked for the button.

The button now shows up and there error message says “missing 6 models” now

I’m glad you solved your issue.
Maurice

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.