StepUp in FreeCAD: Error with Folder Paths

I’m running KiCAD v5.1.5, and I’m trying to use KiCAD Step Up (version 9.5.3.3) in FreeCAD version 0.18, revision 4 on Windows 10. I’ve created my board in KiCAD, and all my parts have associated 3D models with them, with some models from KiCAD and some models downloaded from vendors/created by myself.

When I run StepUp in FreeCAD and try to load my PCB, the models in KiCAD’s packages.3d folder show up, but it doesn’t see my 3rd party vendor/custom models even though they can be seen in KiCAD’s own little 3D viewer. The models are correct, and the path location is correct, but I’m getting an error of missing modules. I made sure that my environment variables are correct, as well as the file extensions, but I don’t understand why it’s not showing up. Does my folder location where I put my custom 3D models have to be structured like KiCAD’s 3D folder? Do I have to set ‘ALT3DMOD’ in the kicadStepUp preferences?

IIRC yes. …

I set ALT3DMOD to the folder where my custom or vendor 3D models are, but it still shows that it’s missing a model. Perhaps it’s the way my folder is structured. I have it such that there are more folders within the ALT3DMOD folder location so that I can easily sort my 3D models by manufacturer for easy lookup. Do the models have to be directly in the folder location?

would you mind to post a simple kicad pcbnew board with fp linked to some models which are not loaded?
ans also your FC StepUp Preference settings?

No need for that anymore. I included an environment variable in KiCAD for FreeCAD to reference labeled ‘ALT3DMOD’ and replaced all my 3D models to a common folder. Doing it that way seems to work, though it was a bit of a hassle, and it seems like it only works with STEP 3D models and not WRL models found with the KiCAD installation. Thanks for the help though.

StepUp is substituting WRL name model with its counterpart name STEP model… but the model needs to exist.
I’m glad you found the solution :smiley:

What do you mean by substitute? In the KiCAD footprint (Connector_RJ: RJ45_Amphenol_RJHSE5380), it attempts to look for RJ45_Amphenol_RJHSE5380.wrl in Connector_RJ.3dshapes, but it can’t find it (which appears to be a recent problem of 3D models disappearing). Are you saying that it will look for RJ45_Amphenol_RJHSE5380.step even if the model is in another directory?

Not all footprints have a 3d model counterpart but all footprints have their 3d path pre filled to allow adding models without needing to modify footprints (both to allow the library team to do it and for users to add their own models)

No, it will look in the same path were WRL is supposed to be, but it will search for a STEP or STP extension.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.